Man arrested for trying to blow up mosque

Any bets on how long it will take for some of that good old "rhetoric" to try and pin his individual actions on a specific political affiliation?

A California man is in jail on a terrorism charge after he was arrested in Dearborn for allegedly trying to blow up the biggest mosque in metro Detroit, Dearborn officials said today.

The suspect was arrested in the parking lot of the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn on Monday, while hundreds were inside the mosque that sits along Ford Road, police said. He came to the city because of its large Arab-American and Muslim population, police said.

Roger Stockham, 63, was arraigned Wednesday on one count on a threat of terrorism or false report and one count of explosive-possession of bombs with unlawful intent for possession of Class C fireworks, Dearborn Police said.

"He's very dangerous," Dearborn Police Chief Ron Haddad told the Free Press. "We took his threat to be very serious."

Haddad said the man was previously known to law enforcement officials in other parts of the country.

"He's had a long history of being angry with the United States government," Haddad said.

Stockham, in jail on a $500,000 bond, drove from California to Dearborn and was caught with a car packed with high-end fireworks. The FBI has been notified about the incident, Haddad said.

"He picked Dearborn as a stop because of the huge Arab and Muslim population," Haddad said.

Dearborn has the highest concentration of Arab-Americans in the U.S. and has garnered increased attention in recent years as a center of Islam.

Haddad said that a witness said that Stockham was planning to blow up the mosque. The suspect "appeared to be acting alone," Haddad said. "His threat has been mitigated."

An employee at a local bar called police after overhearing violent threats allegedly made by the man, Islamic Center of America Executive Administrator Kassem Allie said. The employee was afraid that Stockham was going to target Muslims or Arabs in the area, he said.

Allie said he wants to thank the person who called police and said if it wasn’t for the call the incident could have ended differently.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• What an ass. I hope he spends life in prison.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• There are alot of people in the U.S. who are just like him. They feel empowered by carrying out such violent acts without regard to anyone else. I don't want my taxes to pay for this racist bigot to go to prison, I say send him to Iraq or Afghanistan with no protection!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Meh the rhetoric is already happening at some rabid political sites.

There are crazies in this world and I wish we all had crystal balls where we could identify them before they do this sort of thing. Unfortunately we dont.

Answer by gemgem at 5:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Sadly, this doesn't surprise me. What a horror.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Kathy I agree! There are people like this man all over the world and what we should do with them is deliver them into the hands of those they wish to destroy and let them do what they will.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 5:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I bet, it's already happening.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I haven't found any accounts that give anything more than what was reported above. Even the Huffington Post report is straight-forward, giving nothing but the known facts.

This could have been a disaster, and it's disturbing that Muslim-Americans still cannot feel safe in their places of worship.  Regardless of the suspects "political affiliation", he should be dealt with harshly.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• **oops--that should be "suspect's". I guess the apostrophe was taking a little break. . .

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I haven't seen any spin yet at all.
    Anonymous

• How long is an egg timer - 3 minutes - about that long.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2011