how do you care for belly button piercing

logan-n-kairi

Asked by logan-n-kairi at 7:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• Is it a brand new piercing, I think when I first got mine done I just used peroxide on it. I wouldn't use alcohol b/c its so much stronger or the type of solution they give you when you get your ears pierced you can use that.
    Dharrell

Answer by Dharrell at 7:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• OMG! Did the place who pierced it NOT give you the required LEGAL sheets on caring for your piercing?? If they are liscensed, then they should have given you the sheet on caring for it and the signs of an infection......the above is right. Peroxide is best. Go back to the place and ask them! They usually give you a vial of some sort of antibiodic liquid to use on it the first week or so.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Dissolve epsom salt in water in a shot glass. Lean over so your belly button is "in" the shot glass and turn it over and let it soak for a few minutes. That was the only thing that relieved the pain and it healed very nicely. There are websites and piercers that advise against it, but that is what my piercer told me to do. It works!! Also, use triple antibiotic ointment or Neosporin on the ring and bring it through the piercing.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I used to pierce, and I have always recommended using betadine (an idoine mix) because it wont dry you out the way alcohol can. You should also be using an antibacterial soap in the shower. If you think you are infected or are getting to dry and cracking, you might try running running some triple antibiotic ointment through the piercing. I see that some other posts mention using salt water solutions, and I know many piercers that suggest this. There is actually a spray made with sea salt and saline that you can buy. Good luck!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• ummm why didnt you ask the person who pierced you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• It also takes quite a bit for the healing to be completed, something like 6 months or longer....
    klangert

Answer by klangert at 2:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2008