Question for women with deployed spouses

I know that ALL jobs are dangerous to some extent, some a lot more than others.
Some of us get contact everyday, even multiple times a day, and others are lucky for a call or email once a month.
My hubby is for the most part safe. He does have the chance to go out, but its not very. . . .common. (not the right word, but will work)
So we get to talk every day. (except the wonderful blackouts. . )
Well, my question is this:
Are you ok with only getting the one to few calls a month, or do you HAVE to have constanct contact with him?
i'm ok with not talking to him every day. not that i don't want to, but i understand that he is working and its a big time difference. does anyone else feel that way? lol its a weird question, but i was just curious...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Relationships

• my husband isn't currently deployed, but when he is, i'm pretty used to not getting daily calls. he tries to call once a week, but even then i know that he's busy. he's infantry, so he's out there on the front lines (so to speak) 8 hrs on, 4 hrs off. and those 4 hrs are all he has to eat, shower, sleep, get ready for the next patrol, etc. i'd rather he didn't call me and get some rest than waste his time talking to me and go out on patrol tired! and i know not to worry if i don't hear from him. if something were to happen (God forbid) i know the military is really good at letting loved ones know asap. it's not worth my energy to stay up at night wondering why he didn't call... no news is good news, right? =)
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 1:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My husband will be going into training in March and then deploy overseas in July. Right now I can't even comprehend the thought of not being able to see him everyday let alone not being able to talk to him. I already know that from March 2009 until July 2010 will be the loneliest 15 months I ever have or ever will have to go through in my whole life.
    Sissy_Girl

Answer by Sissy_Girl at 1:30 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I guess I should say that the only reason i'm asking is because of the few girls that i've become close to here worry soooo bad and I just sit there and it bugs me. We all have kids. I have more than most others, so I don't have as calm of a household as them. BUT i'm not putting them down at all. (please don't take it that way) A couple work, and a couple stay home. ( i stay home also) I was just curious. . .
    and I agree. . no news is good news.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• sissy girl, please don't say the times that your hubby will be leaving, its against OPSEC.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• The only times when I have been worried while not hearing from my husband were during his 1st and 2nd deployments. He just got home off his 3rd this year and I wasn't as worried this time. This time he was a fobbit, the first two times he was running missions constantly. So I would say it depends on what I know he is doing whether or not I worry if I don't hear from him. He's coming up on his fourth deployment and we've already gotten some word as to what they'll be doing this time. Needless to say this time I'm a little more worried than I was during the last deployment. At the same time I am prior service and we went through the same basic training and I know he is well trained, and I know he knows his job extremely well.
    LizzyLynn

Answer by LizzyLynn at 11:05 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• cont. So he is as safe as one can be in a war zone. I've known him since we were children and I know how responsible he is and what he's capable of. So just try not to worry, and do the best you can to reassure your friends that they shouldn't worry until they have real reason to. Good luck to you!
    LizzyLynn

Answer by LizzyLynn at 11:06 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• my dh has an office job this deployment and i am used to talking to him just about every day online i usually only worry that he isn't getting enough sleep bc that seems to be the biggest issue for him right now, although every once in a while i won't talk to him for a few days and its usually around day 3 that i start getting worried, and then he'll get online and everything was fine he was just super busy or he had a day off and he slept all of it,
    sissy girl, anonymous is right, don't post months, dates of any kind, times, locations anything like that on a public site, unfortunately you never know who is reading what you are writing its better to be paranoid and safe than sorry, and you will get through, its hard at first but it will get much easier as time goes by, just make sure before he leaves you have everything you need
    momof2andloveit

Answer by momof2andloveit at 11:19 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• anon @ 1:38--- i don't think saying that someone in some branch of the military is going overseas from march to july is a threat to our security. you're just not supposed to say specific times, locations, units, mission plans, etc. i think everyone, including the enemy, already knows that the us military will be overseas this spring. =)
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 2:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• according to OPSEC you are not supposed to mention any sort of date and or time. this spring, this summer, this fall, this winter-those are ok. but the month is not supposed to be mentioned. Yes they know that we are comming over, but they don't need much more of a heads up..
    Anonymous