TMJ .... do you have the 411?

My husband had an xray last night and was "basically" diagnosed w/ TMJ. But we were told to be 100% certain he'll need an MRI as well. Is this the standard procedure for TMJ?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Health

• my mom was diagonoised with this when i was a teenager. they gave her this bottle that she rubbed against her jaw line and it had a numbing agent in it. he is going to need a mouth guard that he should wear at nite when sleeping.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 5:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I wish I knew. I think I have tmj as well but cant afford to get an opinion. I do wish you guys luck.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 5:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I have TMJ, but have never had my dentist tell me I needed an MRI. I just have a custom made mouth guard.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• blecch.... I don't think he'll be able to wear a mouth guard. He has sleep apnea and wears a CPAP. another thing to worry about. THANKS TWINSPLUS!!!!! lol, kidding..... sort of... lol... :)
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• was this a dentist that took the xray? I've never heard of a mri to diagnose tmj. Its when your joint is slipping in your condyle..you need to wear a mouthgard (plastic piece) to hold your teeth apart. I would get a second and third opinion without having an mri.
    laur1963

Answer by laur1963 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I've never heard of the mri diagnostic. My doc when I was a teen told me thats why my jaw was popping and sticking and many dentists since have reconfirmed the dx. All with only minor xrays.

But mine is a fairly mild case so a more serious case may warrant more testing, I would get a second opinion.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Find a masseuse.

LadyQuin

Answer by LadyQuin at 7:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Yes it is. They have to see where that little disk is. An mri will show them much more than a regular x ray. After the mri they will have a better understanding of how to fix it. I needed two mouth pieces one I wear at night the other during the day. If your doctor says surgery please go get another opinion, that is a last resort after you have tried everything else.
    ventingmom

Answer by ventingmom at 8:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I was diagnosed without any imaging. I have a bite guard I wear at night. Initially, it was so bad I was put on Valium.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 2:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2011