• In the Spotlight:

At what age if a child cannot tie their shoe does it go from simply frustrating to a possible motor skill problem?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I refused to learn to tie my own shoes out of sheer stubborness. I simply had no desire to learn how. I eventually figured it out, but until then my mom just bought me velcro strap shoes, also becuase I was a huge pill at the shoe store. It was easier on her to just get the velcro shoes and refuse to buy me shoes that were pretty until I learned to tie a proper bow. A few pair of ugly shoes later and I WANTED to learn.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I remember that I learn to tie my shoes at the age of 4-5.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 5:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• my daughters 5 and she can tie her shoes but takes FOREVER and it can be frustrating
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I know for the school system....the end of kindergarten is the key, so late 5 to 6 years old.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• i learnt to tie my shoes at 7 years old , and i wasn't slow, i read fluently. it was because everyone who tried teaching me was right handed and i was a leftie so the way they did it seemed weird to me, almost like they were doing it "reversed". i finally had to figure it out on my own. i still think it's weird how right handed people do a lot of things.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My son's 5 1/2 and started to learn then gave up quickly so he still doesn't know. I am going to start up again and make it a goal before his b-day in June. He's a lazy bug on things like that, took him forever to potty train!!
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 5:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I was in 3rd grade before I learned to tie my shoes. I am not stupid; just left handed. My teacher shamed me before the entire class for not being able to tie my shoes. I wore buckle shoes for years even after I learned to tie my shoes. With Lefties, somethings take a little longer, but it hard to be in a backwards world.
    Saralinda

Answer by Saralinda at 5:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Some people will never be able to tie their shoes. You can get frustrated or you can get velcro.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:26 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My son was 7 when he learned and he isn't slow or stupid.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My daughter was 5 and my son was 6. He is left handed. It was not too hard since I'm left handed too.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2011