OT vs PT for a child

can someone please give me the layman's version of the main differences? I am going to be seeking some help for my son but I am not sure which route to go. Pediatrician not being terribly helpful. Problems are with coordination and not being up to par w/ classmates (cannot gallop, skip, balance beam, and so on)

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Kids' Health

• How old is your son?
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 5:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• 6yr/3 (kindergarten) and we're on the 2nd report card of the year and he's failing gym.... like for real.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• the answer to your question can be looked up, but to me, it sounds like he would benefit from both, it really depends on the facilities they have access too. I would get him evaluated, if he is under 3 then you can qualify for birth to 3 therapies, if not I would contact the school and have him evaluated too for these problems. goodluck.
    http://www.differencebetween.net/science/health/difference-between-ot-and-pt/
    dezandry

Answer by dezandry at 5:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• OT is fine motor skills,hand eye coordination
    PT is gross motor function. Trunk,legs,arm strength. Balance

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think OT is more for improving certain skills, and working towards a goal, PT is more for after an injury or due to some type of disability, etc.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:47 PM on Jan. 31, 2011