How can I find out if my 3 year old has a learning disability?

We go to the Dr. regularly. He is three and doesnt see his Peditrition until his 4th birthday which is still another 8 months away unless he gets really sick and I need to take him in. He has another intestional disorder that he sees a specalist for, but I doubt that condition is related. Anyway, my 3 year old seems to be developmentaly equal, or slightly behind my two year old daughter. My Son can see two, three, or four of the same items and say "there are 3 pennies" or whatever it may be, but when I ask him to count, he will count in sequental order, but never starts at 1. He will say for example, "7, 8, 9... 3 pennies" He knows some basic colors, like red and blue, but never gets yellow, orange, or purple right. My two year old daughter can dress herself and put on socks and shoes (velcrow) but My son cant. He tries, but gives up so easily that it is frustrating. My two year old is also potty training, but my son refuses. Is this a battle of the sexes, a sibling rivalry, or does he have a problem? Everyone keeps telling me that every kid develops differently, but with him being 15 months older I expect more out of him, and I can see that he doesnt try as hard as my girl does.

busywithbabies

Asked by busywithbabies at 5:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Everyone is right in the fact that kids do develop differently/at their own speed. Not one of mine walked or talked around the same age. I had an average walker who was speech delayed. An early walker who talked on the early side of average. And a late later who was talking clearly in short sentences by 13 months. I would take a wait and see approach. I would continue to work with both of them and praise them for their progress.

I a lot of young 3 year old cannot count out of sequence, let alone derive that there is the correct number from that counting. He may have some gross motor delays if he has trouble dressing himself, but he might just like the attention that you give him when you are doing it for him. Kids are very clever at getting something they need, like attention, in ways that make us think they are delayed or lazy.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• hmm this can be hard, but 15 months isnt really that much older, its true every kid is differnt my 3 year old can get dressed better then my soon to be 6 year old . my first did everything later then m youngest . i just figured not only cuz shes a differnt perion but she had my oldest to mimic from .. SO good luck , and if u really think somethig wrong u can make an appointment w/ ur sons doc it doesnt have to be just cuz hes sick ,,
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My kids are 19 months apart, and my oldest is behind. So I know what what your talking about. If you ever want to private chat send me a message, maybe we can help each other out!
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Do you know how many three year olds that can't do anything that your son can do? Anyways, you can not diagnose for a learning disability until they start kindergarten. Even then most specialist will not diagnose until 1st grade.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• You described my son to the "t" at that age. He still skips numbers at times (he is 4). He also ( like a pp said) got good at getting me to do things for him, so now I make him unless I know he seriously can't. He just started telling me his colors. It was not because he did not know them it was because he had control over them. He could tell you but then he did not feel like it so why should he. If you seriously think there is a problem look into your school district and see if they have an Early On or any programs like that.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 7:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2011