My mom told me something today that scared me...she said that after work one day she felt like she was having an out of body experience...

My mom is the kind of woman who doesn't forget ANYTHING. She makes a list for every single little thing, always organized, never misplaces things. The last year I've noticed she's been experiencing horrible mood swings...she will randomly freak out and go "MEGAN! Where's my cell phone??" and it's right next to her....

Well she told me today that last week as she left work she was feeling really strange...she was driving to Kroger and could figure out which lane she needed to be in (we've lived in the same area for 14 years and she drives there almost daily) and she was freaking out, she kept changing lanes and just couldn't figure out where she needed to be. And then she got to kroger and was going to get some flowers and was standing in the flower area for 20 minutes...went to another area and asked if she could get some help and the man told her "the woman in the flower department can help you" and she argued that there was no one there and he said "ma'am she's been there the whole time" and she turned around and sure enough there was a woman standing there. Next she went to the atm...put in her pin...punched in $60.00 and the next thing she knew she had a receipt in her hand and no money...she went to the bank teller who told her to try again and she ended up putting her card in...doing it again and when she opened her wallet to put the 60 in there...there was another 60 already there so she clearly had gotten her money and just hadn't remembered taking it out.

This worries me...she's only 41 but she has a family history of vertigo, heart disease, and dementia.

Should I be worried? She just seems strange lately.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Health

• Could also be the beginnings of menopause.
    Anonymous

• She needs to see her doctor, especially with her family history. I'm older than your mom (eek) and do have little memory lapses but nothing so intense. If she has short periods where she was doing something and doesn't remember doing it - like a black out - it could be an absence seizure or just hormonal changes. Please encourage her to see her doctor.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Early onset Alzheimers

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• she should go get her head scanned - no kiddding. i knew a woman who was super organized like that. super mother. and she kept forgetting things and caused a fire. got her head scanned just as a precausion and turns out a brain tumor was the cause.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I agree that she needs to see a doctor. It could be many things, from alzheimers-epilepsy-other brain issues.

Definately warrants the soonest appointment she can get.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Yes please encourage her to see a doctor! Especially since she's still driving and something could happen to her while she's driving and she hurts herself or another driver! Good luck and I hope that everything turns out ok for her!
    Bird16_J

Answer by Bird16_J at 10:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• that really sucks. she needs to see a doctor it sounds like the beginning of something potentially serious
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 3:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2011