How can I find out if my 3 year old has a learning disability?

We go to the Dr. regularly. He is three and doesnt see his Peditrition until his 4th birthday which is still another 8 months away unless he gets really sick and I need to take him in. He has another intestional disorder that he sees a specalist for, but I doubt that condition is related. Anyway, my 3 year old seems to be developmentaly equal, or slightly behind my two year old daughter. My Son can see two, three, or four of the same items and say "there are 3 pennies" or whatever it may be, but when I ask him to count, he will count in sequental order, but never starts at 1. He will say for example, "7, 8, 9... 3 pennies" He knows some basic colors, like red and blue, but never gets yellow, orange, or purple right. My two year old daughter can dress herself and put on socks and shoes (velcrow) but My son cant. He tries, but gives up so easily that it is frustrating. My two year old is also potty training, but my son refuses. Is this a battle of the sexes, a sibling rivalry, or does he have a problem? Everyone keeps telling me that every kid develops differently, but with him being 15 months older I expect more out of him, and I can see that he doesnt try as hard as my girl does.

busywithbabies

Asked by busywithbabies at 5:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Kids' Health

• If you are concerned, ask your family doctor for a referral to a child development specialist

Answer by rkoloms at 7:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2011