What caused you to turn to the Lord.

This is not a question about religion or beliefs. Its for those who have a relationship with the Lord. Its not about debating anything. This is just a moment to express what took place when they believed it was possible to get to know the Lord on a personal leve. Plz be nice. Thank you

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 5:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• When I realized I was just a shell withut Him. Of course, I had to look outside traditional Christianity to develop my relationship with Him
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 6:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I had gotten so far away from him and then I got pregnant and started having a lot of bleeding (thought I was having a miscarriage) and found out I had placenta previa and became high-risk pregnancy. That is what brought me back to Him. I have been having problems every time I went to the doctor for months and I went again this past Wednesday and my doctor was shocked with what she found on the ultrasound, how everything was ok. She said, "Wow, mother nature has a funny way of changing things." I said, "No, that's not mother nature, that's the power of prayer!'
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• His amazing love for me draw me near to Him. That was 26.5 yrs ago
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Nothing specific...I have always felt drawn to God, as if he were inviting me into some sort of life of mystery....and I have slowly said yes to the invitation...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I was raised with one christian parent and one agnostic/athiest parent. While my christian parent would take us to church and try to enroll us in christian summer camps, my non-christian parent would encourage us to explore all religious beliefs as myths. It was confusing, but I knew there was something out there. When I was a teenager I used to say silly things like, "I know you're out there, but I don't know who you are", and I'd pray to the moon. When I graduated, I went to Europe to do volunteer work for almost 4 months. I had the opportunity to see several beautiful churches. I also had the opportunity to see ruins like Delphi, the coluseum, Ephesus, the seven boobed aphrodite...I also saw a bit of muslim culture, while in Turkey. I decided muslim was too scary for me (the men were WAY not western enough). I returned to the states from Turkey, and immediately began to plan to get back. (continued..)
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 5:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• The next year I returned to Europe as a nanny. The circumstances of my nanny job turned out less than great, and I didn't complete my year. I went to visit a friend in the Netherlands from the year previous before going back home. On the way back to Paris (airport to go home) I stopped in Delft, and picked up 4 books: Mathew Mark Luke and John, in the beautiful church there. On the plane, as we were taxiing down the runway there was a noise, and the stewardess came over the intercom crying and said that the auxilary power unit was down and we'd have to wait to leave until it was fixed. She seemed scared, and I remember feeling nervous. At that time I decided to start reading those 4 books. 3 hrs later we were departing. The flight was safe and uneventful. In the states I was having a hard time adjusting to the american lifestyle again. One night I had a vision or maybe a dream of an angel, who said "we're watching over you".
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 5:33 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• After that, I was a nanny again in the Virgin Islands. I went to my second official catholic mass, and the priest said something about "God is Love". I liked that. I filed it away in my brain. A few years later, still without chosen religion I decided I was most likely either Jewish, Catholic or Mormon. Although I never made it to a synagogue (after doing some research I decided I didn't want to be jewish, and yes, bacon was a small part of the though process), I did attend both Catholic and Mormon Churches. A friend suggested I try a lutheran church. I went, but decided I didn't like the tone of the pastor or the message as much as catholic, so after a couple weeks, I didn't go back. Meanwhile I had dreams and visions of Jesus, God, Nuns, the devil etc. Eventually, I was in a very tiny catholic parish, and they said the confession, and the communion part "lord I am not worthy but only say the word, and I shall be healed"....
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 5:38 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• (continued from above...last one) I (not knowing any better), took the communion. From that day forward, I decided I wanted to be Catholic. I think it was 2 years later I had the actual opportunity (time wise) to do RCIA. I completed it, and became Catholic. I have never once regreted that decision. Every day, every prayer, and every action in faith I am reminded of why I chose the religion I chose, and reminded of the strength and peace I've found in my religion. Although I do mess up, I try not to knock other people in their search for religions because I know what the search is like.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 5:41 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• When lots of death was occuring around me and my husband (he was my bf at the time) I cried out to God that I desperately wanted to believe in Him but I didn't like the "fear the Lord" part (I didn't understand what it meant) and the sin and hell parts were hard for me as well. So I started watching a popular talk show that featured a popluar psychic and I got really into that. I read all the pshycics books and did meditations, etc. I considered myself a Gnostic Christian/New Age Christian. I was opposed to organized religion and was very vocal about it. I followed this psyicic, went to "lectures" and such. Looking back it was totally crazy. i'm surprised people didn't look at me like I was nuts, lol! Anyway, the day before my dad had brain surgery (Jan 4, 2009), I felt a heaviness in my heart to go with my grandma (who has always been a faithful Christian) to church.(Cont..)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 9:52 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Immediately when I walked into the sanctuary I was flooded with the Holy Spirit and was overcome with emotion. I was in tears throughout praise and worship. After that I hungered for more. I found a church back home and joined the women's ministry bible studies. I learned so much through those. Then last year we moved to Texas and I attended my bio mom's church. It was a bit "meaty" for me at first but I got past it and am not in bible school and also volunteer as needed. I was also baptized last August. It's been a journey but I'm thankful for my path because it makes me who I am. Also, I have since thrown out all my New Age books, boards, etc after asking the Lord for guidance and toshow me if they were valid or not.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 9:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2011