Getting a puppy for two year old and six year old Is it a good idea or bad?

I have a two year old girl and a six year old boy .We have been thinking about a puppy. We got the room for one and I got the time cause I'm a stay at home mom for now. but I've been trying to find the pros and cons about it. can some of you list some for me? and give me advise?

tearb

Asked by tearb at 6:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Pets

• Puppies are so adorable but always make me nervous. Every puppy I've seen plays pretty rough and little ones don't handle the nibbling, chasing, jumping, tug a war with their blankets, etc. so well. Whatever you decide to do I'm sure your kids will be so excited.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 6:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Is not t a good idea. It's a fantastic idea!
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 6:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I am getting a dog about 1 year old so that it has lost its super sharp baby teeth. I got my last puppy when my 15 yo was 2 and she got lots of open wounds from normal playing (tug, etc.) with the puppy due to those teeth. My 3yo will be safer for it, and a year isnt so long that any really bad habits have set in to much.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think its a good idea !
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• It doesn't necessarily have to be a puppy - you could look at adopting an older dog. There are lots of rescue agencies out there that dogs available.
    It is a great idea though. Good Luck.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Our puppy comes home on Saturday! I wanted a dog that would be part of the family and grow up with my kids but I always heard you should wait until the youngest is 5. My youngest is just about 4 and I trust that he is old enough to respect an animal at this point (we have a cat too). After doing lots of research on breeds and looking at well over 100 dogs up for adoption, we decided on a mixed breed (poodle/schnauzer) that is 4 months old, so he's not a tiny puppy, but still a little guy. We are all so excited! He was rescued from a kill shelter.

That being said, only you can know if you think its safe for your 2 year old to have a puppy. On the adoption sites, I noticed that many shelters will not allow certain sized puppies to go to homes with small children, not for the safety of the kids, but for the safety of the puppies. GL!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• thanks (silversmom) I would never of think of there teeth and that kinda situation
    tearb

Comment by tearb (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Regardless of whether you adopt from the shelter or get a puppy elsewhere...while it seems like a good idea right now...remember that YOU are going to be the one caring for the dog.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 6:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think it is a great idea, but research breeds carefully. Not all breeds do well with young children. It is very important for kids to learn to treat animals respectfully. That might mean the occasional nip, but the dog will have no other way to tell the kids they are hurting him/her. We always told our kids that animals would defend themselves if someone were hurting them and not to come crying to us if that happened. Don't punish a puppy for protecting itself. However, you don't want a dog that will act in an aggressive manner towards your kids. Make a careful choice and enjoy your new family member!
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think it would be best to adopt outside of the "puppy" range. The people at shelters will bring out dogs for your children to play with. They will know which dogs will suit your family best (size, temperament, etc.) Having animals is great for children, I don't believe 2 is to young at all. And the 6 year old could be responsible for food/water/walking. If you are going to buy instead of adopt research is KEY. You probably would not want a dog that is to hyper.. like a jack russell. From experience they are ALL over the place. Really a melow dog is key. As well as adopted dog, I have a Boston Terrier. and am a big Boston Terrier fan. We also have a dachshund. My children are 3 and 1. My boston is 8 months, Dachshund 14 years, and our shelter baby is around 4. My shelter dog has the BEST personality. She is so layed back and calm. Always rolls on her back to get petted!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 6:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2011