Flying With baby...

My daughter and I are flying to chicago in dec. This will be my first time flying with a baby and i don't know what i should bring in our carry on or what i should just put in my suit case, or whats even aloud for babies on the plane. Help!

BKCM2008

Asked by BKCM2008 at 1:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Travel

• when i fly w/my 2 boys i bring a duffle bag that has spare clothes (even for me, since i'm usually the one on the receiving end of messes), snacks and/or baby food for baby if s/he's old enough, bottles of breastmilk are ok if they're under 4 oz each. if you formula feed, just take either pre-mixed, pre-packaged formula or just the powder and get the water from a flight attendant. they're usually really good about warming and mixing bottles. i've had several let me just help myself to the kitchen.

cont...
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 9:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Bring extra clothing for you and baby in case there are some major delays or an accident of diaper leaking, etc. Bring food for baby with the thought of having to spend an extra nite at the airport, just to be safe. (I have never had to use the extras - just the clothes...) You can check a stroller at the plane gate. I would suggest purchasing a seat for your child and bring the car seat for them to sleep /sit in. It makes the flight eassier for you and them.
    WildRover

Answer by WildRover at 5:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• If you bottle feed - make sure you time your feedings to have her sucking on a bottle during take off and landing. (Or breast feed during this time) This helps SO much with their little ears, the swallowing motion helps relieve the pressure - which gets worse at take-off and landing when the pressure changes the most. Definitely do a diaper change right before flight if possible, and bring a spare outfit for leaks. Lots of diaper wipes, spare diapers, snack foods.

*Due to changes in what fluids you can carry on, if you use powder formula, I would just bring a small carrier with powder in it and ask a stewardess for a bottled water to mix it. If you're going to have to pump breastmilk call the airline to find out about it.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• also bring toys, pacis (if used), bibs, plastic bags to put any soiled/wet clothing into, burp cloths and/or washcloths, hand sanitizer, wipes, diapers (better too many than not enough!), a changing pad since most airlines don't have changing stations and you'll be doing any in flight changes on your tray table or your seat, a blanket and anything else you normally bring in your diaper bag. creams, lotions, powder, etc.

cont...
    pugmama

• and, even if you plan on taking baby on your lap, bring their carseat with you to the gate. just in case there's an empty seat and you can re-arrange seating w/people so that you can be next to it. baby will be much happier in a carseat! and, if the flight's full, just gate check it. and bring your stroller to check at the gate too. getting to and from the gate is so much easier! especially if you have layovers.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 9:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2008