do you put your baby to sleep while he/she's awake?

I ususally rock my boy to sleep, but once I put him down he'll awake and start to move his hand around his face and start to cry. I guess I shouldn't rock him till he falls asleep on my arm. He's only 2 months, would you let him cry til he falls asleep?

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ive been putting mine to sleep while shes awake...but tired and ready for bed
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I usually put my little one to sleep while he was still awake. I didn't want him to learn to depend on me to hold him to fall asleep.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• not until around 6 months. before then i (or my husband) would rock her to sleep, continue holding on to her until i felt satisfied, and then put her down. i really don't think you are harming his likelihood of falling asleep on his own if you continue holding him to your heart's content for a few months!! enjoy that baby!
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 7:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• If he wakes up give him a few minutes to go back to sleep on his own.. Sometimes they just wake for a few seconds but can get back to sleep on their own. We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Diaper change, swaddling perhaps, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying......not all of these but whatever works for you. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down.  If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies. GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Sometimes yes, sometimes no. We co-sleep, so sometimes he'll fall asleep nursing (he's almost 16 months, but we've done this since birth), sometimes we stroll him to sleep if he has a rough night, and sometimes he just runs himself down and we move him to the bed. As for night wake-ups, he either falls back to sleep on his own, or nurses back down, unless he wakes up feeling very bad. Up until 4 months we always nursed or rocked to sleep, as he had terrible colic. He's also a 'late sleeper' - up late, down late. He'll sleep anywhere but the crib- we only got it to use as a safe put-down spot, and to convert to a full sized bed.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 7:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• If you want him to be able to fall asleep, try not to rock him to sleep. Feed him and snuggle like a minute. Then lay him down and pat his back, or just rest your hand on him. Stand there until he falls asleep. I made the mistaking of rocking my first, and didn't do it with my second. I actually couldn't LOL But y older one is a terrible sleeper and we co-sleep now. The 15 m old sleeps better. But it's more personality at this point.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I wait until Jake is so tired from playing that he's whining about everything. Then I put him in his crib with his sippy and cover him up. Sometimes he kicks the covers off and i tell him no bedtime and cover him again. He may cry for about 5 minutes because he wants mommy to pay attention to him. Even though I'm a stay at home mom.
    kandimomma

Answer by kandimomma at 8:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• if he's only 2 months i wouldn't worry about causing bad habits yet. I used to rock my son to sleep and then around 4 months i started to let him cry a little and figure it out on his own. He learned just fine, he now sleeps 12 hours through the night..GL!
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 9:08 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• my dd is 1 and she needs to b rocked to sleep sometimes! no big deal! i do put her down most of time when she is showing signs of being ready for bed! and she will normally just roll over and go to bed! enjoy holding him now, the only time i ever get to hold my dd is when im rocking her to sleep! :-(
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• We always rocked him to sleep! He is going to be 1 on saturday and I rock him to relax him then lay him down. He usually wakes right up, But will fall asleep within minutes! My favorite part of the day is rocking him, I feel like its a very good bonding time!!!
    Sarahe786

Answer by Sarahe786 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011