a friend asked me a question and i could not answer it maybe you all can

. If a non custodial parent pays support on a child and the child drops out of school is the parent still obligated to pay if the child does not ever return to school? and 2 if the child is a teen and gets pregnant and starts getting child support when the baby is born, is the non custodial parent still reliable for paying support on the teen child? her daughter dropped out of school and got pregnant in Indiana and she cannot find any information on the subject. she is trying to get through to child support agency to ask but they only return calls twice a week during her work hours. She orginally lost custody because of stupid things she did, she regrets it but knows she could not raise her daughter at the time.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I believe that being in school or out of school has nothing to do with it. The child must be supported to age 18. Also if said child has a baby, the child support is still due until that mother turns 18, in my opinion. I really do not have a legal background, nor do I live in Indiana.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Unless a court order specifies that support stops prior to 18 if not attending school..it is a non issue. If the child is recieving benefits from the state..that non custodial parent might have a chance od going to court to drop support. If the father of the baby is paying support..and the Mother is still a non emancipated minor..the babys support has nothing to do with her own and it would still be due.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Her daughter is a minor, and child support doesn't have anything to do with whether she's in school. Until the age of 18, a child is legally the financial and legal responsibility of both of her parents, so I'm pretty sure that she would have to continue paying child support, and if her child has a child....the child support that she might receive for that baby has nothing to do with supporting the teenager, it's intended to help support the baby.

As kjrn79 said, I'm not a lawyer, and every states laws vary, but that's the way I would understand it, and morally, I would say it's still her responsibility to continue supporting her daughter.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I know a girl who got pregnant as a teen, she didn't drop out of High School, but her dad did not have to pay child support for her anymore becase ther courts saw her as an adult because she had a child. That was in Michigan.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• It is 18 or in high school (like most kids turn 18 during their senior year, so child support is paid while they finish HS). Yes, child support still has to be paid
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I dont know about Indiana but in California the age you are still responsible for your child is 18 yrs old (That is the legal adult age). So of course the non-custodial parent has to pay for child support until then.
    susan94546

Answer by susan94546 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Where I live, it is untill the chlid turns 18 period, unless the child is still in school untill they are 19, they still have to pay untill they are 19. But just b/c she dropped out doesnt' matter. I moved out when I was 16, preggers and moved in with my bf, my dad sent me all the money he would've paid to my mom untill I was 18. Nice but kinda feel bad for my mom about that. Of course I took it and spent it on my stupid bf. I was so dumb back then. Your friend should continue paying child support. It's just money!! Why do people not want to support their children!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Every state is different. But they usually have to pay until the child turns 18, but in some states a girl who becomes pregnant is considered an adult.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:54 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• she did not say she did not want to support her , it was the fact that she wanted to know the law. She wants to make sure that her dad is not using it on himself but for the girls care if she is still required to pay it. Right now she is trying to find out if the girl is living with her dad or the father of the baby or is she on the street cause if she is on the street , she wants to find her and get her into her home. Because as of last night the dad said he does not know where the girl is because he told her to get out. This girl is 16. She needs to be in a safe environment. Why does some feel the need to say no one wants to support their kids, you have no idea why she was asking.
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2011