Should Teens be allowed to Work and or Drive?

My ex and I have been fighting over our last 2 sons together. He won custody but finally let me have the older one on the condition that he not get any kind of job or get his driver licence.
He says it's because he wants him to concentrate on schoolwork but I think that he just wants to exert more control. My son will be 17 in 3 weeks. What do you think?

MelissaCarole

Asked by MelissaCarole at 8:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think he should be allowed to get a job if he wants.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think so. It helps teach responsibility. If they are lacking in school then take a way the car and if they continue make them quit their job. I worked from the time I turned 16 till I graduated and I had a lot of money saved so I could go to college and move out.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I was working from the time I was 14, and I got my license on my 16th birthday. It teaches responsibility and money management.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Have you talk about this with your son. Does he want to get a driver license?
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 8:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My rules with my kids..if they made the grades and weren't getting in to trouble they could get their license. Both of mine worked the last 2 yrs in school. They WANTED to work. I was forced to work from 14 on. I would never MAKE them...but I wouldn't say no unless there were other obvious issues.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My son wants to work and to get his license.
    MelissaCarole

Comment by MelissaCarole (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think it depends on the child. If they are a bit scattered, then maybe driving can wait. And if the job affects their grades, then school has to come first. But a lot of teens can juggle it all w/ a positive outcome. A lot of good can come from them learning skills, building their resume, managing their time & money, etc. It will also help save you some money if they are earning enough to cover their own wants, needs, play money, etc. You know your child best, and if he wants to take on these challenges, I say let him do it. (Even if it does not work out- it's still a lesson learned)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

Let him have his driver license and job for a year if he keeps his good grades then he will prove to you guys that he is capable of multitasking.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 8:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Just remember that if ex isnt on the same page with you, and its not in your divorce papers, you are going to end up with the cost of the car and the insurance for the car. I hope son gets a good job to help out with that
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I don't think he needs a car yet, but I know what you mean, He's a good driver, he has his permit.
    MelissaCarole

Comment by MelissaCarole (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2011