My Grandson

My grandson is 10 years old, he lives with me and his mom. I had custody of him until this year when I gave it me to her. He has lived with me since a week after he was born. She moved in with us when he was two and we have been living happily together for the past 8 years. Recently he found out some of the details of how his mother gave him to me and he's very resenful toward her. He says he wants to live with me because I'm the only one who has been there for him. While true in a way, my daughter loves him and is a good mother. Any advice on how to comfort his heart without stepping on my daughter?

MelissaCarole

Asked by MelissaCarole at 8:08 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• 10 is still pretty young, it seems to me. I would just tell him, everyone makes mistakes. No parent is perfect nor are any grandparents ;) Maybe his mom had a rough couple years when he was first born, but it sounds like she has been there the majority of his life.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I have had custoday of both my grandkids for almost 6 yrs. Their parents rights were terminated in 2008 and we adopted them. My GD almost 8 is VERY resentful of them both. I was advised by the therapist to let her voice her anger. She now refuses to anser their letters, emails and will not come to the phone. My son gets very upset by this and saus "Mom, make her" NO, I won't she has the riight to own her own feelings on this. I have explained to her they were young and made bad choices..and that they have grown now..she's not buying. Your problem is she has custody again..I hope she listens to him..otherswise I see a bvery long painful raod ahead.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Geez..please forgive the typos. I keep forgetting to proofread.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Family therapy for the three of you will go a long way

Answer by rkoloms at 8:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2011