not enough room

my husband, myself and 2 kids live in a 3 bedroom ranch. its not very roomy. i just found out im prego and now im in a panic. where are we going to put this new baby!?!? my husband was laid off and recently got a wonderful job, but i dont think were going to be able to get a mortgage from the bank that easily for a new house. so what do we do? try to put an addition on? i would love to pour myself into putting together a nursery but i cant and that makes me sad. things seem so up in the air im starting to stress. baby wont be here until the fall.

mykidsmom86

Asked by mykidsmom86 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Kids can share a room - whether that means your current 2 sharing and the new baby getting a room alone or putting the baby in with one of them. You can also keep the new baby in your room for a while. When our first was born we lived in a 1 bedroom house - the living room room was long enough we rearranged the furniture and we made one end into the "nursery". When #2 was born we we living in a 2 bedroom - we made part of the "dining room" into the "nursery", then moved #2 in with #1 when #2 was about 6 months old. When #3 came along, we room-shared. Then when #4 came alone, the first 3 shared a room and #4 room-shared with us. Then we renovated the attic, and put #1 & #2 up there, and moved #4 in with #3. A new baby does not require a "nursery", just someplace safe.
    Anonymous

• I have some really cute ideas online for room-sharing. I would be nervous about my son and daughter sharing a room at those ages, but I guess it could be done. We have 3 boys right now (the two oldest share a room) and a girl on the way. We plan on the baby being in our room for a couple of months, and then she will share a room with our youngest (there is a 2 year age difference). I think they should be fine for a couple of years at least, and then we will have to figure out something else.

I think if your kids know that sharing a room with the baby is a temporary solution, it should be fine. Hopefully in a couple of years you will be in a better place financially and able to give everyone their space :)
    jen_pas

Answer by jen_pas at 8:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Put two of the little ones in one room and one all by themselves. I would make it work with what you have.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• its cheaper to add on than buying another house.
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 8:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Remember! You have a tone of hormones rushing though your body. They are the cause of your anxiety. You have it better than most. Be grateful for what you have.

LadyQuin

Answer by LadyQuin at 8:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• if it's 3 bedroom i would combine your two existing kids and then make the smallest bedroom into the nursery. you could get them a bunk bed and that would make them excited and save room
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• i am truly grateful for what we have. we were on unemployment for a while and we really struggled.

i dont know if room sharing is an option. my oldest is a 9 yr old boy then i have a 7 yr old girl. are they too old to share with a baby?
    mykidsmom86

Comment by mykidsmom86 (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• there are load of children that share! and remember that the new bub will be in your room for a little while after its born anyway!
    shirl16

Answer by shirl16 at 12:16 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• We are expecting #4 and are in a 4 bedroom house. We only use 3 of the 4 bedrooms as bedrooms. Kids can share rooms. It helped to go through everything and toss out the stuff that wasn't necessary. We scaled back on toys and use our breakfast area as a toy area. It can be done, you just have to be a bit more creative. We have the extra bedroom, and just don't use it. Our kids like sharing rooms and even when we've tried to separate them, they end up back together. When the 3rd first came along, he slept in our room in a crib. We planned to do that the first 6 months (they say it is safer anyway) but ended up doing it until he was closer to a year old.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:15 AM on Jan. 31, 2011