Friends with Lice

I have a friend whose kids ALWAYS have lice. They have been fighting it for 20 years. Now they live near me, and I love her kids. They are 7, 4, and 2. I haven't let them come over for a long time, but I really missed them. Finally for the 7 year olds birthday I let her come over and I took the 2 year old because she assured me that they didn't lice, but they did.
I don't want to make the kids suffer because the parents won't take care of their kids. But lice is so disgusting. I put a treatment on their hair and washed all the pillows and blankets they used with their clothes. I hope my kids don't get this time. What would you do?

MelissaCarole

Asked by MelissaCarole at 8:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Go buy anti-lice shampoo (prevents it so they DON'T get it) - for both your kids and theirs. Sheesh!!! Why do people lie about stuff like that?
    Anonymous

• Sad truth is that I would stop letting them around my kids. No, it's not the kids' fault, but it's not fair to your kids to keep exposing them to it either.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I know what you mean. It's so gross, and they haven't seen them for almost 6 months. The mother was actually mad at the school for checking her daughters hair, Can you imagine. and then she finally took her out of the school to homeschool partly because she was being called lice girl. Who would do that to their kids?
    MelissaCarole

Comment by MelissaCarole (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Somehow, we managed to avoid lice (probably the only family on the block. Here are some remedies that I have held on to in case I need them. For prevention, mix 50% olive oil, 25% tea tree oil and 25% rosemary essential oil (you can get this at a health food store or Whole Foods); massage on scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes. To cure, you can use mayonnaise or coconut oil; put on the hair, wait about 30 minutes, and comb out with a flea comb from a pet shop; follow with the prevention spray. You will need to wash bedding, clothes, pillows, etc.
    Trader Joes has a great shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and peppermint; these wouldn't hurt, and are great for adolescent, greasy, flakey, scalps.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• You're a better person than me for trying. I know it's not the kids fault, but you can't subject your family to that either. If her kids continually have lice though, and the school knows about it, why isn't cps involved? I mean lice happens (i guess, thankfully, don't know), but if it never goes away or is repeatidly occuring (to many times) why hasn't the mom de-liced the house too? I would be a little questionable about her kids overall health needs?
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 8:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Around here if they go to school, they are not allowed back in school and if they continue to have it, our school would call the health department, because maybe the parents don't realize what it all intails too. But I sure wouldn't have them at my house knowing they have it. That is way to much work, and I don't want to ever go through that.
    mommy6xs

Answer by mommy6xs at 8:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I wouldn't let her kids come over anymore and make sure she understands why. Lice is hard to get rid of but not impossible. Obviously, she isn't doing a very good job of getting rid of it. She needs to get rid of all the kids' pillowcases and bedding and do a thorough job of cleaning the couches, chairs, etc.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think I'd tell the parents that she had lice. Maybe you can find a brochure to tell how to handle lice. If they don't spray the furniture and wash everything that can be washed, as well as treating the hair once and then again in a few days then they will get it back. They have never gotten rid of them. Report to the school they go to as schools don't allow them to go to school with lice. She would have to get it cleared up first.
    Sweet_Carol_126

Answer by Sweet_Carol_126 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I would help my friend get rid of the lice forever. They have non toxic bedding sprays that they sell at pet stores. I treat the children's hair
    put on a video and then comb out their hair with a lice comb, washing the comb out constantly using as hot of water as possible. Then pack up all the stuffed animals pillow or anything that a lice could live in and store in a sealed plastic bag for 10 days. Wash all bedding, towels and the like and dry in a hot dryer. Spray the carpets and furniture with the non toxic spray that kills lice. Vacuum the carpets and throw away the vacuum bag. You may have to do this several times before it works. I sat down and cried the second time I had to do all that. I would not feel bad to check your friends kids hair before they enter you rhouse for nits, eggs and bugs. I have done this so much at school and home I have a black light flashlight on my key chain to light up eggs and nits
    Mommad1947

Answer by Mommad1947 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Tea tree oil shampoo keeps them from getting it. Anything you clean with add teatree oil to it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2011