I have vertigo and can't seem to get better. I need help.

A few years ago I was diagnosed with vertigo that was caused by damage to the vestibular nerve in my right ear. I had treatment and got better for a while but now its back worse than before. Has anyone else had vertigo and if you have stopped spinning please tell me what you did. My neurologist just keeps telling me to wait it out and gave me medications that just put me to sleep. There has to be something better out there.

ventingmom

Asked by ventingmom at 8:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Health

• Has anyone suggested Meneire's disease? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9ni%C3%A8re%27s_disease
    All three of my siblings have Meneire's. It causes terrible vertigo. My brother's control it through diet and medication. My sister had to have her inner ear removed on one side.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• my mom was diagnose with it years ago. It is not as bad as it was then but every now and then it will hit unexpectedly. She just take her meds I really don't think there is anything you can do about it. GL
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 8:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• They don't think its meneire's and they know it is not positional vertigo. They thin it is caused by damage to the vestibular nerve. I had a Gentamicin shot to kill off the nerve and it worked for a while, Recovering from it was no fun I had to learn to balance all over again.
    ventingmom

Comment by ventingmom (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My SO suggested a "Billy board". You stand on a platform, it rotates (using your movements) on a ball bearing, changing the angle, so you have to rotate, move with it, gain balance, etc. It is supposed to help with equilibrium and balance. Ask your Dr if it's ok for you. You can probably find on Ebay pretty cheap.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 3:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I had vertigo 18 years ago, I was hospitalized over night, they gave me a shot and I felt better, after 4 days in bed I was able to walk again, it took months to get back to normal, although walking down a set of stairs would make me dizzy. I spoke with a Doctor at the time, that said never take aspirn, as it destroys the tini vili in your inner ear, causing permanent damage. Also, some medication that Dr's prescibe accualy makes it worse. The only thing to do to limit permanent damage caused by side effects from meds is to rest.
    Linda1012

Answer by Linda1012 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2011