What is/was your grandfather like?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 8:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• I loved my Grandpa very much, he was the glue that held my family together. He was tall, thin and strong, he had blue eyes that twinkled with humor, and he loved to tease and joke. . My favorite memory is from when I was 9, I was home sick with the flu and felt miserable. To cheer me up my Grandpa brought over my birthday present (2 months early)- it was a dollhouse that he had built for me. I spent many,many,many hours playing with that dollhouse and I still have it to this day. Unfortunately when I was 18 Grandpa passed away from emphysema. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of him, or miss him.My grandpa Llewllyn Carrier Flint

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Miz, what a very sweet tribute to your Grandpa. Both my Grandpas had passed away before I was born
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• he was real sweet and spoiled me lol. he used to call me bess instead of beth and took me and my sister for rides on the tractor. he let me steer his truck which really made my mom mad (i was like 3 lol). he was heavy set and had diabetes. he died when i was 5 and i remember i didn't want to cry at his funeral....that was important for some reason lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Well, I have 3 and 1 that passed away that I remember. LOL, so that is a long question to answer. My grandpa that died was actually an alcoholic who stopped drinking and turned to pain pills...I never knew him sober. My grandpa (dads father) is very funny! He wasw a very hard man when raising my father (very old school) but 2 years ago had a lung transplant and really has become incredibly greatful for any time he has with his kids and grandkids and doesn't waste a minute! My step-grandpa (moms side) is huge into fishing and hunting and has always taken us grandkids out of the lake to fish :)
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• my dads dad I only even met in my entire life about 4 times. He treated me nicely those 4 times (out to eat, lots of attention, etc) but it was hard for me to respect him knowing how awful he was to my dad and my mom. He was a very wealthy pharmacist with 2 homes and lots of luxury cars and my dad was the oldest of his 4 kids. my uncles are chiropractors and doctors and my dad got no help, no college education, etc and was forced into the army just to have a chance at a decent future. he was a good man..... to other people. but not us.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My Grandpa is a strong man that grew up on a farm but got job training as a welder and moved to the city. However he brought his country ways with him so if you see a chicken running loose downtown it probably belonged to him LOL
    I love my grandpa I am his only grand daughter and he has always spoiled me turd rotten.
    He never drank a drop in his life or smoked. He has never taken a vacation and doesnt believe in having fun.
    But he believes in enjoying the small things in life such as watching a garden grow from seeds.
    He was and is a great man and I love him very much. I will be very devastated when he passes away and hope he lives to be 100.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Sadly both of my grandfathers past before i was born.
    klhoe

Answer by klhoe at 10:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My grandpa was the rock of our family. A good, honest very hard working Christian man (LDS) who taught us love, work, honesty, charity, and so many amazing things. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have married the man I did b/c I wouldn't have had that example of what a real man is.God knows my grandpa was one of my biggest blessings and I miss him everyday..
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• my grandpa on my moms side wasnt very sociable and his sense of humor was very mean spirited. he was very racist, but oddly enough when he was in a nursing hime just a few months before he passed he had a crush on a black nurse of his. he passed a few years ago and i did not attend his funeral. my grandpa on my dads side is a very hard working man that has built up a considerable wealth through his stinginess and hard work. he was a horrible father to my dad. he has been married to my stepgrandma my whole life and, while he paid all the household bills, he made her work for any spending money she wanted to have. she worked until her health got bad at age 72. he never bought any grandkids presents, she had to use her own money for that eventhough we werent biologically hers. he is a very racist man and has not spoken to me since i have been with my SO (4yrs).
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• All 3 are sweet men. Very different but all three loved us all as best they couod. Though particularly my 2 living G pa's are the one's I'm closest with. Both love me and my son and treat us well, both would go out of their way to help us.

My Gpa that passed loved us, in his way, but mental issues kepy him from being close
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2011