fashion shows/beauty pagents for little girls?

what do you think of them?
my a few weeks ago we were invited to one of my daughters (8) friends birthday party

&the theme was fashion week in New york(crazy right) well any ways it was really nice it was at the embassy suites hotel and they had the girls get pampered hair make up etc and then they let them walk the runway
they took pictures and stuff also it was really nice right before we left the mother of the birthday girl came and gave me a brochure for modeling classes,fashion shows,beauty pageants and she said if my daughters were interested to give her a call and they could go to the same modeling school as her daughter.. my daughters has been bugging me to let them go its really inexpensive and they do need something to do since cheer leading season is over for a few months but im really not sure im kind of nervous about the beauty pageants because i personally don't think little girls should get judged on there beauty..i think if they don't win that's like telling them there not beautiful and that's not right but my daughters keep bugging me and i really haven't done any researches on the whole beauty pageant thing..

would you let your daughters participate in a fashion show/beauty pageant?
what do you think about them?
do you think they can help boost a girls self asteem?

They say you don't believe in love at first sight until you give birth;)

my girls
Kalajahh 8

Kaylonnie 6 :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

LABELmeCUTE

Asked by LABELmeCUTE at 8:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I did pageants and loved it. I never felt more or not beautiful because of them. I had a blast. Just don't get caught up in them. And make it always fun and not so serious.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• BTW, this is me. I am in the middle. 

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I don't think I would do it. I want my kids to have confidence for more than their appearance and how they perform on stage for judges. I honestly think a lot of pedophiles attend those, and I don't want to parade my kids for them.
    That said, I would also want to foster what my kids want to do. Do you know how expensive it can be to do pageants and such? The dresses alone are crazy expensive!
    Have you watched Toddlers & Tiaras? It might be worth watching a couple of episodes before you make your decision.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• If I had a daughter, I may put her in pageants if she asked. But I wouldn't do those full glitz ones! I think giving those girls the fake teeth and fake tans and all that is crazy! If they are showing interest, and it is inexpesive, maybe they could just take the classes and try out 1 pageant and see how that goes. They don't have to get into he whole lifestyle if you aren't comfortable with it :)
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• There were two things there, one is modeling classes and other is the pageants. for modeling classes, sure I'd let my daughter go if it were not too expensive. In fact, I did send my daughter and my son to modeling classes. I actually sold plasma to send my son to the classes as money was tight. I think it helped them feel better in front of people. they enjoyed it.

If your daughter wanted to get involved in a pageant, I might let her if she wanted to, but I would not push her. I think some moms push their kids because they wished they had it for themselves. So as long as she enjoyed it and it was not too expensive, I might let my daughter do it. But I do have a problem with too sexy clothing as I don't think kids should be sexy, but be more like kids. Modeling classes are not sexy but it is more kids learning to show clothing but it is kid's clothing and for kids. the pageant is different. Dance class yes, too.
    Sweet_Carol_126

Answer by Sweet_Carol_126 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Well I guess it depends on why she wants to do it. I think I would be more ok with the idea if my daughter wanted to do it for fun because she loved dressing up and preforming, but I don't like the idea of letting it get too competitive. I think when the competition gets out of control is when you get monsters like on toddlers in tiaras. Personally unless my daughter was begging me I would never even consider it because of that.

Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My older daughter did them, but that was before fake hair, fake teeth, and fake tans FOR LITTLE GIRLS! Also, we quit (after 75 trophies) when we had progressed so far that the other mother's were like drill seargants with their children! In it's proper place, it can do lots for a little girls self-esteem, but it also is pretty superficial (atleast until they start focusing on the talent part of the competition). Good luck -- It also gets VERY EXPENSIVE!! My daughter's size 2T dress (alone) was $600!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011