Crib bumpers or no crib bumpers?

I hear they cause an increase in SIDS, yet they are sold everywhere.

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• do the mesh bumpers....they're completely breathable. it prevents their arms and legs from getting stuck in between the bars (and that happens alot without a bumper lol)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• no bumper no pillow no blanket until they can sit up on there own then they can have a blanket and no pillow until they are over 18 months old
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think that "they" (child experts) say no crib bumpers, although with all 3 of mine I did use crib bumpers.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I agree with MELRN- NO bumpers, no pillows, blankets, stuffed animals, etc. They can suffocate on the bumpers (and all the other stuff listed), and once they can pull themselves to standing, they can use the bumpers to climb out of the crib (and fall out). They're cute, but not worth the risks.
    Diet pills are sold everywhere, but does that mean they're safe?
    Plenty of things are on the market all over the place that we shouldn't use. But that's where judgment comes in.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• they look pretty in the crib which is why they are still sold. I tried it out and my son ended up being a side of the rail sleeper so it had to go. of course once I got rid of it my sons arms and legs got caught alot lol but they do have mesh bumpers out there which definately decreases SIDS
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• BTW- DS never once got tangled in the bars of his crib without bumpers, or smacked his head on them.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I just co-slept until my dd was old enough I didn't have to worry about SIDS, but when we moved to the crib we used bumpers, she needed them she moves around so much in the night
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Mesh bumpers
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I used bumpers years ago with both of my babies and they're both still alive. *shrugs*
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• we used a bumper for a while, just to keep him from throwing his paci out... he also slept on his tummy with blankets and got a pillow when he was a newborn, a small very flat pillow, and now he's an insanely hyper 3 year old. its just a matter of what you prefer and always think about babies safety first.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2011