What things do you look for when searching for a quality preschool program?

lilachievers

Asked by lilachievers at 8:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Loving teachers....low teacher turnover ......small classes......and a half day program..
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• How long have they been there and has it always been the same owner. How long have the teachers been there and have they been teaching the same class for a length of time. What are the credientals of the teachers working there. What are the hours of operation? What is served for snack and lunch? Sleeping arrangements and nap schedules. What is the teacher to student ratio? What does the playground look like? Does the equipment look up to code or old and weather beaten. Is the faciltiy clean?. You should be able to go on a tour of the facility to see how the daily schedule goes and if it seems to go smoothly from hour to hour. Do they have bus service to the elementary schools? That is for later, but it turned into a necessity for me. Also we where on a track school system and my kids where out of school at different times of the year, will they accomadate that as well.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Beyondhopes about summed it up -- -Also ask about ongoing training for teachers -- and then check out the number of violations they have with the state that you live in (all licensed facilities are monitored and reported for ANY violations. I check violations first -- then move on if they have ANY "high=level" violations. Example -- I was looking at a preschool that looked pretty good initially -- THEn I checked with the state DFPS website -- they had a teacher that SLAPPED a child, and the teacher was still employed -- AND there was an instance where a 2 year old was left on the playground for 45 minutes alone until he was FINALLY missed by his teacher. Needless to say -- I passed on that place!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I am a retired preschool director of 30 years. First, visit the preschool unannounced at different times during a the day. If the school won't let you visit run a fast as you can. If they don't check you out and accompany you on your observation, run as fast a you can. Are the children happy/?You can expect some tears in the 2 year old class when they are dropped off due to separation anxiety. The child should not cry all day. Do they have toys that look like they are being played with or are they up high? Are the arts & crafts open ended and creative or has the teacher cut everything and assembled them? Do the children have a sense of ownership over their room or do they feel uneasy? Does it look like the kids are having fun? Are the teachers loving advocates for your child? Do they have a balance of academic work and learning through play. Check teacher child ratio and the education of the teachers and aides
    Mommad1947

Answer by Mommad1947 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Just a few thing I would consider to start off would be the child-teacher ratio, the programs they offer, the food quility served, and the safety of the environment
    bjsbabybear

Answer by bjsbabybear at 9:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• First, do your research and decide what style program fits your child best. When you have an idea of what approach you're looking for in a school you've got a starting place. We looked for a place that offered part-time program in 2 and 3 day a week sessions. I wanted a school that believed in interactive, hands-on discovery more than work-sheets. Age-appropriate teacher-student ratios. Certifications. Longevity. We took a tour during class hours to see how the kids interacted with staff - not just classroom staff, but office staff. How did the teacher's and the student respond to my child as a visitor to the room? At the place we selected, the director introduced my son as a "new friend that may join us at X preschool next year." Students in the class invited him to join them in their project. The teacher agreed and helped get him involved. DS told me to pick him up later. LOL! It was a hit.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• the enviroment of the pre school and how they would take care of my kids when i am not there, a good review of the place.
    Shanaz S.

Answer by Shanaz S. at 7:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011