I'm 37 weeks pregnant with my first child. I'm having fluid retention in my lower abdomen. Anyone know why?

I haven't had the usual swelling of the hands and feet like most women have. This fluid retention in my abdomen just started yesterday. It's right underneath my belly button, about the size of a softball, and has little to no feeling. What's going on with me?!

mello_yello88

Asked by mello_yello88 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• how does it feel? hard? squishy? is it retractable (like if you push on it does it move or go into your body, or does it stay put?)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• i had that with my first. of course i was swollen in my feet and hands too but it was odd because i had edema under my belly button too. i asked about it but for me it was just part of the water retention. and it caused even more stretch marks. so i would say its fairly normal
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• At this stage you should check with your doctor about anything new or unusual.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• PRINCESS- It's harder than my pregnant belly, and does not move when I push on it.

LAURA- When did your retention start? I'm just concerned seeing as it just started yesterday, and the fact that I haven't had ANY swelling at all just makes me wonder.

MARWILL- Yes I plan on contacting my Dr. ASAP tomorrow. It's just my luck that something like this would just pop up over the weekend. So I thought I would try and ease my nerves, and see what I could find out on my own before tomorrow.
    mello_yello88

Comment by mello_yello88 (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2011