The Witches Bible

I have always steered clear of it because from what I heard it greatly clashed with my beliefs and tended to lean towards the "this is the only way" attitude. But my friend has it and does like it. So I was just wondering what everyone else thought.

So if you read it did you like it? Why or Why not... What points do you disagree with and what things do you think are a must read/teach points?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I did not even realize there was one.. hmmm
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 9:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• The Witches Bible

At this point it's kinda "old" but I still see it over and over again on "must read" Wiccan Books Lists...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I will probably hit the library to see if I can read it. Looking at the description, it does not seem it would be worth the money. But, I am always one to try.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 10:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• i will check it out thanks sabrina
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Yes I consider it a Must Read.. because it is an in depth look at a tradition of Wicca, one that has a history in this country and in Wicca. To me not reading it is like claiming to be a Celtic Witch but never reading historical data on the Celts or reading its mythology. If you are going to claim yourself to the Wiccan path, why not learn about everything you can about it?
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 10:10 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Mama, do you think it's a Must Read for Pagans or Wiccans? I'm not Wiccan, I don't plan on ever becoming so. But from what I have heard this book has some very controversial points in it, like the idea that Homosexuality has no place in Wicca, or the stress on Monotheism. I agree that everyone should learn the history, but there are lots of ways to do it, I'm just not sure this is the way to do it.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• First I think its really important to say that it is "*A* Witches Bible" not "*THE Witches Bible". There was a book that was titled THE Witches Bible and it was very....not good.

A Witches Bible I think is an important book for all witches to read. This doesn't mean that you should follow it blindly or use it as many christians do their bible. It is merely a guide book- a book of examples of what COULD be done following the Alexandrian Trad. There is a lot of important Inner Court material in it.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I bought a copy a couple of years ago. I really like it. I thought that it was going to read all "do it my way!" but I haven't found anything quite like that. You can definitely tell it was written from the perspective of people in a coven and specific tradition, though. I've found it to be very helpful with Sabbats when I was first starting out and a bunch of other things. It's kind of a dry read, but not quite as bad as Bucky, IMO lol. He puts me to sleep after like half an hour. It's not at the top of my list of favorites, but out of 10 (10 being the highest), I would probably rank it at about a 6. I like other books a lot more, but it's good for a different perspective and stuff like that. I like the sections on rituals for life events (like handfastings) and the Sabbats part the best. Basically, I think it's a useful book, but I could live without it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Oh and kind of jumping on the question you posed to Jasmine, I personally don't think it's really a "must read" for any branch of Paganism, but I think that Wiccans would find it most useful because of the history and stuff. I haven't read it cover to cover (I've read most of it, though), so I can't say for sure that it's not in there, but I haven't come across anything about homosexuality or monotheism (yet, at least). But like I said, I haven't read it cover to cover. I use it more as a sort of reference book (like Silver's Solitary book, and a few others like that). Hopefully someone else can give you a definitive answer on that. Bump!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I have it and have read it....well portions of it anyway. As with all Pagan and Wiccan books (and Christian and Muslim, and Hindu, and Buddhist and whatever other religion books are out there) one must Always keep in mind the #1 rule of books. Take what works for you, what enlightens you and leave the rest. If you do that, then you will probably learn something from the book.
    yarngoddess57

Answer by yarngoddess57 at 5:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2011