groceries

is it just me or where i live or has groceries gone up alot in the past few months. seems like there is nothing in the store less than 2$. and what is with the price of meat? my goodness a pound of chicken and they want 6$?! 4$ for a pound of beef?! what is going on?

laura970

Asked by laura970 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yes they have gone up alot on their prices! Here are some helpful tips for you.

Buy only what you will need for breakfasts, lunch, and dinner. Make a list out don't just buy because of great sales! Too many people do that and then they spend way more then wanted.

Make a grocery list and if you have to bring a calculator it helps me stay on the right track.

But like the frozen chicken breast in a bag it's 6 dollars but can make many meals, buy like 3 or 5 lbs hamburger and then figure if you are making roast, pork chops or what else? Again only buy if your going to use it.

Same with snack foods, we buy saltine crackers that way we aren't buying all types. Same with plain yogert that u can add your own fruits and granola it makes a nice healthy breakfast.

When you shop look at the prizes, I try to buy stuff 2 bucks and under these days! I don't purchase anything for 5 bucks unless it's detergent or
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 9:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• A lot has to do with the crazy weather we've been having. With the freeze in Florida not that long ago the price of vegies and berries have gone up. Now add in the ever increasing cost of gas to truck everything from the farmers to the supermarkets and now you know why everything is getting expensive. Follow the sales circulars and coupons is all I can suggest. Also make 1 or 2 nights a week a meatless meal.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Yes, grocery prices have gone up.

Here are some great tips for saving at the grocery store:

Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Where do you live? We can get boneless chicken breast somewhere almost every week for $1.98. Beef is high. Pork is usually available for under $3.00 a pound.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

• I don't even look at the regular meats anymore. I only ever buy what has been discounted. I use it right away or throw it in the freezer. I have never gotten bad meat. I watch the sales flyers and shop at several stores to take advantage of the best deals.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I was noticing that yesterday with my dd. Stuff was on sale by about a whole 50 cents. But the regular price seemed so high! Did they go through one night and raise the price of everything double and then put sales prices on it to make it look like its on sale?

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• i live in northern wisconsin and for us the prices have just gone through the roof. i do most shopping every two weeks except for some things like lettuce and milk. yes i know you can do without milk but my little ones love milk and so does the hubby plus if i go to the local dairy farm i can get it a bit cheaper but at the store its close to 3.50 a gallon. sorry i guess i was more venting then anything else. and for me i find coupons are not my bag. unless you buy name brand i find that i can get another brand cheaper than the name brand with a coupon and unfortunatly they dont give coupons for off brands or store brands unless its in the store ad. so i do look through the ad when i go shopping. that and i will drive 30 miles to a grocery store i know is alot cheaper and it makes up for the gas i spend to go there.

guess i should have said this was more of a vent then anything else.
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2011