Has anyones dog ever had a seizure?

My dog gets them all the time we have him on meds for it and if we miss a day he gets them sometimes even if we dont miss them =/ just wondering if anyone else has this problem and what do you do about it?

EliannasMama

Asked by EliannasMama at 9:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Pets

• Yea, my beagle has seizures a lot.
    wheresthesunset

Answer by wheresthesunset at 9:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• other than the meds, there is nothing more you can do. keep up his health with exercise, proper nutrition and regualr checkups!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 9:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• We had 2 dogs that had seizures when I was growing up. If you live anywhere close to Texas, Texas A&M does a study on dogs with seizure disorders and if you qualify they pay for meds and check ups.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 10:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My grandmother had 2 dogs that had epilepsy. If your dog is having that many seizures, his medications may need to be adjusted. Many dogs do better on more than 1 medicine and there are things that can be done besides medications, you just need a referral to a neurologist. Check your closest vet school to see if they have a neurologist on staff.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 7:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• we use to have a dog that had seizures and he had to take a pill everyday, but once in a while he would be sneaky and spit out his pill, when that happened he would most likely have a seizure. My parents were away and my grandmother use to take us to feed him and give him his pill that weekend and he hid the pill and spit it out and ended up having a seizure, my uncle found him and we have no idea how long he had been seizing plus he was outside at the time and it was cold so he went into shock. We ended up losing him the next morning and found his pill on the kitchen floor (he has spit it out). I guess just make sure he takes those pills and check and see if there is something in liquid form maybe to ensure he takes it.
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 11:47 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• yes our dog is 7 this year he has them not often and he isnt on meds, vet told us to talk to him till hes back with us
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:25 AM on Feb. 2, 2011