How often?

How often do you normally feed a newborn baby if you are breastfeeding?

Should everyone keep track of how often your baby has a diaper change and what times you feed the baby?

Did you do this when you had your baby??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I fed my son every 2-3 hours when I was breastfeeding. It honestly depends on how long he/she feeds each session. If your baby doesn't stay latched on for long, then you would need to increase that. I only kept track of wet diapers and feedings the first week and took that to the pediatrician. If you are seeing a lactation consultant then they may want you to keep track longer.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:27 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Only in the hospital... then at the doctor check ups they would ask for a ball park. 8-12 wet diapers (if memory serves) and feeding every couple of hours at first. I didn't keep an actual log.. it was just to get a general idea that the baby was eating well, pooping and peeing regularly and gaining weight well.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:29 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i fed my daughter every 2 hours when i was breastfeeding. when i was in the hospital, they would ask me how long my daughter would nurse on each breast. she usually nursed 25-30 minutes, but would doze off for awhile each time. lol. my Dr told me that she would wake me up when she was hungry which was true. she also said if it helped me that i could set my alarm clock to go off every 2 hours to feed her. good luck!
    ang0343

Answer by ang0343 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2008