Lactose sensitive

I just found out that my son is lactose sensitive. I have changed my diet (under doctor's orders) and nothing seemed to work. My doctor even suggested trying some lactose sensitive formula. So we tried it and it works. No more bad gas and no more fighting it. We're not fighting burps but farting, burping and screaming for 1/2 hour or more when he got breast milk.

Here's my issue. I have a lot of milk frozen. I have a small chest freezer full of frozen milk and I have no idea what to do with it. I have to pump because he had latching on issues and now this. I'm already having concerns with not giving my boy my breast milk cause I have enough.

My question is has anyone else gone through this? What did you do? I feel terrible even though I know I'm doing everything that I can for him.

OliviaW.

Asked by OliviaW. at 9:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• My youngest had that and I had to cut out all dairy including trace dairy in products. Its hard when things you don't think have any dairy actually do. If you still want to BF there are a number of sites that list hidden dairy ingredients.

I would see about donating you milk that you have and can't give to your LO.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Try donating it to a milk bank. Call your local hospital or lactation consultant for information about it.
    Anonymous

• Charis76 said exactly what I was thinking. You could totally donate the frozen milk your LO can no longer tolerate. Good luck.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 10:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Can u mix the formula with the breastmilk so maybe he can tolerate it better? Ask ur doc. If not donate. There is a facebook group called eats on feets that takes local breastmilk and gives it to a local mom in need.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 3:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• we went through this same thing! i know all about electric green mucus poo streaked with blood :(. i would not under any circumstances switch to formula (you can contact the le leche league llli.org). i had to completely cut out all dairy (this included things i didnt think of- like bread). its a bit tricky, but once youve mastered it (and get used to the taste) you will notice a happier baby. i donate milk to ibmp. i had to give them all my frozen milk reserves because of dairy. good luck and hang in there!
    thebeamteam

Answer by thebeamteam at 6:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2011