How to tell whether or not my 3 year old son has adhd?

Kandice2010

Asked by Kandice2010 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hyper does not necessarily mean he has ADHD.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Okay, but that behavior is not necessarily ADHD.
    Anonymous

• Talk to his doctor, but he's pretty young for a diagnosis of ADHD.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• lots of 3 you won't sit still or listen. PLEASE make sure that you are looking to better HIS life and that you are not just trying to medicate him so you don't have to deal! 3 yo is sooooo young! i am not even sure i would trust a ped docs that made that diagnosis!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 9:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My son was diagnosed with ADHD and Autism when he was 2 everyone (except for the doctors) kept saying he is so young but mother can tell when something is wrong with their baby. Shame on all of you for even thinking that the OP is just trying to medicate their child. Some children have real issues and parents want to deny it instead of getting the child the help they need. There are diets for ADHD kids that help maintain symptoms and online symptoms checkers if you have concerns..
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 11:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I agree that 3 is still young. Be careful because adhd is overly diagnosed. Good Luck.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• You would need a professionals' diagnosis.
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 9:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• We go in march to a doctor to test his behavior, he is hyper. he ooes something over and over again after bein told no about doin. wont sit down for a minute. cant sit on anyone lap
    Kandice2010

Comment by Kandice2010 (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• i know 3 year old have alot of energy. but his behavorial is bad. i hope for some luck in march. i dont know why it takes that long to get a appt. thanks everyone
    Kandice2010

Comment by Kandice2010 (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My five year old has been the same way since about 3. I too wonder if she has ADHD or something like it. She has a speech disability also. However my pediatrician said they wouldnt look into ADHD until after she's in school. They say it doesn't fully manifest itself enough to properly diagnose until that time. I'd talk to your doctor and see if they recommend anything until then. Quite possibly he's simply an active child whose learning his way. Good luck!
    ginnylyn

Answer by ginnylyn at 9:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2011