Anybody know about croup? Has any of your kids had it?

Patience909

Asked by Patience909 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Health

• It's a wet cough...kind of like a barking seal. My ds had it a few months before his 1st b-day. The dr gave him steroids and it cleared up quickly.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 9:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• whats it rough at night? I get the steroids in the morning
    Patience909

Comment by Patience909 (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• yea my toddler has had it. If you think your child has it, sit in the bathroom with steam from the shower till the water goes cold, use a cool mist a night, and elevate the mattress, and pillow.
    miraclemom914

Answer by miraclemom914 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My youngest had it just about a year ago. An ER trip and several breathing treatments and we were home after about 5 hours after they decided not to admit her. She went home with an inhaler but got over it pretty quickly, They said she would be more likely to get it again after she had it the first time. Thankfully she hasn't though!

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• It usually does get worse at night you can try letting the LO sleeping on an incline prop the mattress or with pillows. When DD had it we slept together so I could keep a close eye on her breathing.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• It is always worse at night. Steam showers and Benedryl works the best. You can get a small nebulizer from the pharmacy to help you through the nights.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• These are all good answers. My doc told us to take the baby out and breathe in the damp cold air (easy where i live). I also propped him up and he slept with the window open. My kid also needed the steroid and a nebulizer. Now he has a puffer for when a bad cough crops up, such a life saver for him.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2011