Labor!!

OK I seen the Youtube video, and i HATE NEEDLES!!!!!!!!!! I want to know do you really feel this huge needle going in your back? do you need a spinal block for this? Also is their any other way besides the epidural??? please help me, I am afraid of hosptials, and Needles sadly to say. but someone please send help and maybe ease my tentsion off labor. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• The epidural hurts a lot less than childbirth lol. They give you a numbing shot before they stick you with the epidural needle. There's no way to get any type of medicine for pain relief without a needle....You'll probably get an IV when you're in labor.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:29 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Have your DH or SO hold your hands and make funny faces or tell you silly jokes. Whatever is distracting for you at the moment. Lol, worked for me and I felt NOTHING! I actually tole the anesthesiologist that I loved her. That's how much it DIDN'T hurt. lol
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 2:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i am 21 have had two babies and trust me you want the drugs i hate needles as well but the numb the spot before they give you the epideral it is not that bad and plus once you see their beautiful face you will forget the pain
    mirtre

Answer by mirtre at 2:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I have never had a epidural, with my first I had no medications at all. With my second I was given a small dose of a narcotic reliever through my IV. I HATE needles and my veins roll and it took three nurses nearly an hour to get my IV placed with my second. But it is all worth it. I had DH and my mom in there when I was getting my IV and that was honestly the most terrifying part for me.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:30 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• labor seriously insn't that bad.... Your body was made to give birth.. Educate yourself about the side effects of the drugs they like to give during labor and about Natural Childbirth. It'll ease your mind and you'll be able to make a good decision for yourself!! GL
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I just read the last post and it just goes to show you how different people can experience things...I was about to say, when you are in labor a needle will be easy to take compared to the serious intense pain of labor. I found labor to be very overwhelming in terms of the pain and I didn't mind the epidural at all. Every experience is different.....and the professionals are there to help you through it all whatever way you choose to do it. Everyone is a bit afraid before having a baby...and I agree with mamaof2748 that preparation does help! Good luck to you!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2008