did you teach your ds to stand up to pee right from the start?

or if not, when did you start? Did they do well? My son is almost 3 and has been doing well sitting down from the start. He is also too short to reach the big toilet comfortably enough to pee in it standing lol. A stool wouldnt be an option in a public restroom so I havent bothered teaching him to stand yet.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• here is a trick i did with all my boys! in the public ones, have them stand on your shoes! we stood from the start, just seemed like it would make less mess.
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 10:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I learned after training three boys that they do better if the learn to sit to potty first. That way they learn how to poop on the potty too. If they are already sitting, they generally end up pooping sooner or later and learn to go that way. So I always had them sit to potty until they could reach the toilet on their own without a step. There was no learning curve either, because they were so excited to stand to pee... must be something to do with that Y chromosome :p
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• no I had him sitting on the little potty and then moved to standing up once I knew he knew when he really had to pee
    kt2babies

Answer by kt2babies at 10:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• We taught him both ways I think and he always sat to pee. Now that he stands it is such a mess omg!!! The only way to wipe it all up everyt ime is to watch him pee so I see where it all goes lol!! He is four now.

He started atanding up to pee all on his own around 3 1/2 I think - I also think it woul dhave been sooner if he had a dad living with us - when he did start, it was right after hanging out with his dad for a while (ie seeing his dad pee).
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• my son was sitting on the potty until he was tall enough to stand and pee. hes still too short to some toilets but for the most part he stands to pee.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• i was told that you should teach them sitting first so they don't get confused about pooping and peeing and which they should be doing. later on he learned from his daddy and big brother that he could pee standing up!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I had taught my son sitting ... my husband came home from England and changed it to standing as my son kept walking in on him and wondering why he was standing.. yeah 3 year olds don't have the best aim.. Clorox wipes are my friend. I really wish my son would of stayed sitting.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 11:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• With my eldest, we started sitting down. With my 3 year old, seeing daddy and brother standing, he refused to sit down. We have a stool at home, and like a pp said, he stands on my foot in public restrooms. Although some family restrooms have the small potties for little ones. The first time we took my 3 year old in one he was excited and was telling everyone they had a "little potty" lol.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:12 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I tried the whole sitting thing with my first son and he didn't get it. He refused to use the little seat on the regular toilet so needed both hands to hold on and then would pee over the seat and all over the floor and his feat. That went on for a couple months before I gave up. He was 2 1/2 and ran up during dinner (the kids had eaten earlier) and yelled he had to pee so I told my husband (who was normally at work) to deal with it since they were guys. He took him in the bathroom, stood him on the stool and told him to go. And that was it. A week later he was peeing in the toilet all the time and figured out #2 shortly after that (after one accident). That was after months of me trying to teach him sitting down.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I had 2 girls and one boy,and let my husband show him how,went on and on about being a big boy like daddy,worked like a charm.Have dad show him how and why.I also made a target out of tp paper it was fun for him for a while.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2011