Sick 5 month old...advice

Our daughter is almost 5 months (Feb. 9th) She is running a fever of 99.5 (taken under the arm). She sounds chunky when she breathes some and when she coughs. She has been sleeping a lot. Lastnight she had a bottle at 9pm and didn't wake up until 7am. When she is awake she still is smiling and babbling. She just has been sleeping a ton. Yesterday, she would take only 3 oz. of formula every 4 hours...today it's better up to 5 oz. every 4 hours. My pediatrician scared me about RSV the last well check up. How do you tell the difference between RSV and a cold? My husband is taking off tomorrow since she has a fever, but were wondering if she needed to see a dr. also. You would think the second time around you wouldn't worry as much....but I don't.

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 10:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do they have an after hours # to call?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think only a doctor can tell if it is RSV.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• 99.5 is not much of a fever, just watch her on that note. and yes, RSV is scary! been there, done that! the only thing i truely remember is my DS being VERY lethargic. maybe she growing, hence the sleeping? calm down, momma! call the doc in AM! :)
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 10:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• RSV can only be proved with a test. 90% of RSV diagnostics are made based on symptoms only. Don't believe it's RSV without a test. They just want to push the antibiotics on you for every reason.
    And by the way, antibiotics don't work for RSV since it's a virus and not a bacteria.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 10:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• in babies its nothing to worry about. if the fever gets higher then 103 then u need to go to dr. give her some infant drops. get the humidifier going, put some vicks on her chest she should be good. and she has the best birthday :) cause i was born 22 years before her on tht same day :P
    2ndiapers

Answer by 2ndiapers at 7:47 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• RSV INCLUDES RASH, AND A VERY HIGH FEVER.
    2ndiapers