How much is too much for a 2.5 month old? [Feeding Q]

My 2 1/2 month old daughter(She's our first) can drink over 8 oz. Rarely will she push the bottle/breast away(We're doing both). I stop her every couple of oz to burp her and will only give her more if she cries(more like whine) for it. I know every baby is different but I didn't know her little tummy was big enough for all that! On a side note, we just recently tested out putting a leveled spoon of cereal in her bottle. It hasn't slowed her down any. Has anyone had a similar experience?

BrookeKRod

Asked by BrookeKRod at 10:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds like a lot but my lil bro did the same thing when he was born! at 2 months he was getting full 8oz bottle plus some baby cereal (eww) but he was a big baby, 10 pounds at birth! if the doc thinks its fine and she isnt spitting it up, then she should b fine! does she eat all that and then not eat for 4-5hours? or wats the time between feedings??? most babies that young go 2-3 hours between feedings! every baby is different!! :-)
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• babies eat what they want when they are hungry, the don't "overeat" like adults do
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I was worried about my daughter eating too much when she was a newborn.....She was eating 4 oz when sh was a week old every 2.5 - 3 hours. The doctor said it was a lot, but since she wasn't spitting up not to worry about it. She said she will stop when she is full. Well, she ate the same amount forever! She has finally leveled out. I wouldn't worry.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 10:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Personally, I think that's *alot*, "too much", even. Cut out the bottles and just nurse and then you really won't have to worry about overeating. They actually need less human milk than formula to meet their needs, but even if she takes a ton of milk from you, there's no upper limit on human milk, it can't harm her.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Babies do eat when they are hungry, however, bottle feeding can cause overeating. Adding cereal to a bottle is not going to help. (It is seriously a big no-no, don't do it.) Either stick to the breast entirely, she'll eat and won't overeat. No worrying over over eating anymore. Just breastfeeding would be the easiest way on both of you to handle this. Easier on baby and you. However, if you, for whatever reason, have to keep the bottle as part of the routine, give her a smaller amount from the bottle. Wait a little between the small bottles to let the milk settle and let the "full feeling" sink in.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:43 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard, and she is much too young for solids. Breastfed babies don't overeat

Answer by rkoloms at 7:47 PM on Jan. 31, 2011