How do i get my 7 month old to sleep and to stay asleep without having to nurse her?

My daughter is 7 months old and I cant seem to get her to sleep without nursing her. I have tried to let her cry but I don't know if she is too young and I have given her more food in the evening but she still waked up every hour or so at night and is now not taking naps. I get her to sleep nursing her and then as soon as I do put her down she pops up awake and starts screaming.

tiffytoo

Asked by tiffytoo at 10:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's how mine was. Until 10 months. Nothing you can do. Just wait it out.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 10:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• so sorry!! my dd is almost a year and still has to nurse to go to sleep! i hate pacifiers but u might give it a try it sounds like she comfort nurses!! it didnt work for my dd tho! the pacifier turned into a toy lol! good luck!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• The way you stop it by not allowing it. You feed before they lay down, make sure they are full, change diaper. Don't go in don't give in. They will settle for whatever you don't allow. What are they going to do get up and come get you? I had the same trouble with a bottle. My son refused to go to bed with out waking up for one. I have an older daughter and at 9mo. I decided "Ok now I'm done with this" I just up and stopped. I would go in an check on him once. If there wasn't anything wrong I would leave and let him go... He would scream for a while but you know it two nights of this and he stopped now he sleeps all night. It works the same way for ALL children if you put your foot down. I do childcare and I can say from experience unless there has been something medically wrong they will give up. I know some parents will disagree but I know they will. Screaming sounds mean but one or two nights won't hurt them.
    rjaffeux

Answer by rjaffeux at 10:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• 7 months seems young to me to try CIO. But that's just MY personal opinion. You could try nursing her, and when it seems she's no longer actually nursing efficiently, and just comfort nursing, give her another minute or two to comfort nurse, and then lay with her on the couch, or your bed, and (expect a fight at first, since it's a change) cuddle with her, gently massage her, maybe speak to her softly, even rock her, and see if it eventually helps her to fall asleep. If it does, when you're sure that she's REALLY out, like out cold, gently move her to wherever she sleeps. Do that for a few nights to a few weeks (whatever seems reasonable to you) and then begin making small changes to that routine, such as reducing nursing time, or start laying with her for a while, and when she's tired, but not quite asleep yet, move her and stay with her there comforting her until she falls asleep. Keep gradually changing the schedule
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• until you achieve the bedtime routine you are looking for.

This plan is obviously something that is going to take quite a while, so if you aren't interested in doing this over most likely a few weeks to a few months, this isn't going to work for you. :) It's just an idea and you can tailor it to suit your family's needs. I hope either this works for you, or you find another way to get your routine that works. Good luck!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• This article is for newborns but most of it applys to the older baby to How to settle a newborn baby good luck!

shirl16

Answer by shirl16 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My 7 month old nurses to go to sleep too.last month he started waking up every two hours at night..not sleeping during the day just like your daughter..so I decided to do the cry it out..very VERY hard but let me tell you it helped sooo much.. I can lay him down and he will go back to sleep..he does nurse still to sleep sometime which Im ok with but I can lay him down and he will still sleep :) so it took two nights..first night took 40 minutes.5 minutes I would check on him give him a kiss and sweet pats and love then walk out did that until he was asleep. 20 minutes into I started crying I was going to give in but realized I cant know cuz its been 20 minutes already..I felt horrible but he slept for 6 hours nursed then slept for 5 hours..next night did the same thing and it took 5 minutes and he was out and fussed just a little..but you increase your time.first night 5 minutes then second night 10 then third night 15..
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 3:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• she wakes up because the last thing she remembers is nursing, and now she doesn't know why she doesn't have that anymore. you just have to break the association by stopping. my son was like that too..we let him cio at around 7 months and now he sleeps through
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 7:30 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• When they don't sleep well during the day, they are often too tired to rest well at night. I know it seems counter intuitive, but many moms make the mistake of cutting naps in order to get them to sleep at night. That doesn't work.
    Bedtime routines are fabulous. You set your routine for a specific time each evening. You then do the same bedtime stuff each night. (Bath, lotion, pajamas, nurse, pray, kiss goodnight, lay in the bed.) When she wakes up in the middle of the night, you nurse, pray, kiss goodnight, and put back in bed. (Or whatever your particular routine is from nursing on.) You should make sure your routine starts early enough that she won't be sacking out while you're feeding. If your aim is to put her in her own bed, you should put her there awake. It is disconcerting for them to awake in a different place than where they fell asleep.
    Try reading "The No Cry Sleep Solution" or "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• "Screaming sounds mean but one or two nights won't hurt them. "

There are researchers at Harvard who will disagree strongly with you. You might google "Harvard Cry It Out."

And having been there done that... I gave up on CIO after one week. It simply DID NOT WORK.

They sleep when they sleep DESPITE what we do, not because of it. Keep your routines, but understand that baby is 100% normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:15 AM on Jan. 31, 2011