Yep...this is a public assistance post!

First of all, I don't see an issue with using it if you have to... this is mostly for those who are NOT on any form of assistance but could have been...or have run into similar situations...

But does anyone else actually get people acting like they are stupid for NOT using assistance??? I was talking with a friend and somehow it got brought up how much we pay for our son's formula and food cost per month... and she goes "OMG, why wouldn't you use WIC?"

"We are fine. I don't really wanna use if we don't need it."

"Yeah...but it's free! I didn't have to pay for anything! You are crazy. You won't even try!"

Then there is the family member who practically BEGGED us to get on foodstamps even though we do not qualify...nor do we have issues buying groceries. She brought it up at least five times, and I politely told her to cut it out. Her response? She sent me the applications in the mail. When she came over and saw that I had left them sitting still folded on the counter, she asked why I never filled them out. Um...because I already told you I don't need them! She even tried to convince me to apply AGAIN after my son was born this past June because I had taken 4 weeks off (self employed) to spend with him...and since foodstamps are based off your last four weeks pay, and that number would have been zero... she tried to convince me to sign up so I could "spend the money I spend on groceries on other things."

Seriously? Does anybody else think like this? Yes...lets practically take money from some hungry person's mouth so I can save money on groceries and use that cash to what?

I even had a nurse once to PLEAD with me to apply for WIC because it was "just sitting there." Okay...true...but if fewer people apply, won't the state eventually stop spending too much on funding it?

Don't get me wrong... if you need the help, I ain't mad at you. Do what you gotta do. Feeding your kids is top priority and if it came down to my babies starving or using assistance, of course I'd apply. But since when is this is something to take so lightly? I almost feel like I'm left out of some club because so many people look at me sideways when I tell them I haven't even TRIED to sign up for all this "free" money. Anybody else know people like that? How do you respond without being downright rude?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Dh's mother wanted us to get food stamps and housing assistance. We qualified, but never used it.

This is also the same woman that wanted dh to claim that he was Hispanic so he could get scholarships meant for Hispanic students when the closest he is to Hispanic is a great grandma that came from Spain.

Anything to get something free. UGH!
    Anonymous

• My co-worker and another friend both use the reduced lunch fee from school. Both have the same exact job I have so I know how much money they make. I am the single mother in the bunch and I still wouldnt ask for assistance unless I needed it. I dont get it either. Its not right and not fair to the others who truly need it.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Hahahahaha. I thought I was the only one who knew people like that. I was wondering what was wrong with my friends. I think the family member was just trying to help...because she is utterly convinced we are starving...but good grief!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• i agree, i have "friends" that claim they are single with three kids but their bf's live with them and pay rent or other bills. they all have great phones bc they lie to get "free money" so they can afford those things, but the losers are still BROKE! i don't understand! save it if you're just going to use it anyway!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• There was a time when we could have gotten at the very least food stamps and probably medicaid. We didn't want it. We barely, and I mean barely, made the rent, bills, and the majority of the food budget when to our son but we are parents first. We had people telling us to apply for everything and we said hell no. We could still pay our bills and for us that meant we didn't need assistance. We did get WIC for a little while but that was it. I didn't like doing even that due to many reasons so I refigured our bills and tightened up the budget even more so we dropped off the program. Most of the people who told us we should apply for assistance were ones scamming the system and finally got kicked off. They are in worse shape than us because they never figured out how to stand on their own.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Yes...that is my beef...thank you for the right turn of phrase! Why would my family members NOT want us to stand on our own when I am telling them we can? Why is PA the FIRST advice they give when they think we're having a hard time rather than asking if we could get rid of the our satellite TV or cut down on our power bill or start using coupons? That is my whole issue right there...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Thats annoying..and I am a person on PA..I get TANF, Medical and WIC..but thats because even tho I work 40 hours a week I still only make maybe 900 a month and that's barely the rent and all the bills I HAVE to pay..No Cable..No Internet..

If someone doesnt need ti..they shouldn't get on it. cause there may be someone out there who desperately needs it. It wouldnt be fair to take money away from them.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 11:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I agree!
    We have been on WIC for a few months because we hit a rough patch. As soon as we are back up, we are off! And we barely qualify.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 12:12 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Self-sufficiency is not an important trait to some people, and not something that is being emphasized in our culture anymore. It's important to me, and obviously it's important to you. Just don't expect others to understand.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:29 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I qualified for WIC, we didn't need it. I didn't take it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2011