Anybody else have problems with WIC being just mean?

Especially if you can't breastfeed. I had postpartum psychosis and PTSD,every time I would nurse him there was no bonding I honestly believed he was hurting me on purpose and spent most of it trying not to chuck him against a wall. Which was apparently my fault.
My son has a severe milk protein allergy and all they did was yell at me and tell me that I'm trying to give him more allergies and diabetes.
Every piece of art in the clinic is a woman nursing from various angles,even the book has pictures of it and they're prerecorded phone message has to remind me that I'm not doing good enough for my child because I'm not nursing.
Does this happen to anyone else or is it just Provo cause I'm not contributing to there 80%?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 10:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had an issue with a series of WIC commercials that were airing in my upstate NY town. Each other commercials implied that a breastfed child was ALWAYS healthier than a formula-fed child. They were terrible. There were so many complaints about them that they were yanked after a month. They always made me feel like a terrible mother because I had medical issues that made breastfeeding impossible. But when I go to the office, I don't get the impression that they are judging me.
    Anonymous

• i never liked wic, i stopped going there even though we qualified bc i didn't like how they treated me. the (JUST A FRICKIN) nurse kept telling me how underweight my son was, that giving him b/m wouldn't bring up his numbers and if i WAS going to give him b/m that it should be directly from my breast. pshhh, i had to explain to her that he was a month early so he was always going to be little under their "scale" and that i could bottle feed him b/m if i wanted to. he had a GREAT ped though and told me i was doing the right thing, but if i chose to go to formula he would support that too!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I don't have that problem. Probably just the place you're going to.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• When I lived in Nor Cal I always felt like they are judging me too. I was unable to bf very long and they do not provide formula without a doctors note.
    Now that I am in So Cal they are really nice and we are a Vegan household!
    So you are not alone but not all of them are that way.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 10:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• when i had WIC they were always really nice to me, but im sorry you had postpartum psychosis, i had postpartum depression and it was sad and scary
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 10:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• omg! You poor thing! I never had any problems with wic at all. Is there someone that you can call and report all that to?
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 10:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• quite frankly i think its BS . i always get hassled. I have triplets and each are a differnt weight, one time one of the ladies caused a scene and almost called cps on me because one triplet was 1 pound heavier then the other 2- she said im neglecting my other children just to feed the heavier child. wtf? who are they to judge anyone about anything? until they see a mother bring in their child with bruises or skin and bone they can criticize or look down on someone, until then shut the EFF up WIC workers!
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 10:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• every WIC is different! ours is a PITA about breast feeding!! im never feeding her enough, they try to take my rental pump away every other month! they are always giving me sample formula "just in case" ive been nursing almost a year now i think the "just is case" time is over thanks!! sorry u are having so much trouble!! i just ignore them most of the time! good luck i hope things get better!! btw u are a great mom it doesnt matter if u nurse or formula feed all the matters is that the baby eats and is healthy and happy!! :-)
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Already did on the comment card that's all they give us is the comment cards. Mslkdh I wish they would have given us the options they give in California because the first thing I tried for his allergies was elimination diets and Utah WIC won't do Soy anything even milk.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I had WIC for a little while after my daughter was born. She had an allergy to milk protein only I didn't know it at first. I just knew there was a big problem and the doctor refused to listen to me. I changed doctors and he diagnosed her within 5 minutes and the answer was Alimentum. They did everything they could to not give that to her including pushing breastfeeding and all but calling the doctor incompetent and a liar. We went round and I finally got the Alimentum. From then on they accused me of not feeding son because the computer told them that he didn't weigh enough. I told them we didn't need their "help" anymore. Between them and the unbelievabley rude checkers at the grocery store, it was not worth it and we struggled and just got through the formula days.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2011