What happened to Thanksgiving?

Why is it, that Halloween & Christmas are sooooo commercialized. For instance, you go to the stores, there's all the pumpkin heads, morbid crap, & then it goes staight to Christmas. Does anyone understand the meaning behind Thanksgiving? Dosen't the holiday speak for itself ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• i always see thanksgiving stuff.. i saw it the day after halloween.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• You get lots of candy for Halloween and lots of presents for Christmas. It's all about the $$$$$$
    You don't get anything from Thanksgiving except wonderful and precious family time. Gee...Walmart.....can you find a way to suck some $$$$$$ out of that holiday and commericialize it also? ....sadly...lol
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 2:42 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Do you mean the turkey & ham in the food section? Because around here, it went straight from Halloween to Christmas, as I said in my question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• No, I mean thanksgiving decor.

KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• okay....I went off on a rant. I was in Walmart and I hate all the Christmas stuff. It went out so early like it seems to every year. It just seems to get earlier and earlier.....lol.
    I didn't notice any Thanksgiving stuff. I was to busy being OCD about the other. THANKS 4 GIVING me an outlet.....lmao!
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 2:48 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• happy2bme - My husband says the same thing! We heard our first Christmas song and he nearly broke down! lol.

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• happy2bme7- that's funny, because that's where I usually shop! (Walmart)- not sure exactly why, it just seems convenient. The main reason i shop there is for diapers & banannas!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i HATE how Thanksgiving is hidden. its my favorite holiday for many reasons! 1) i LOVE family time. 2) i LOVELOVE eating lots. 3) you dont have to buy anything but food. and most important...ITS CHRISTMAS MINUS THE COMMERCIALISM!! its got all the good warm feelings christmas is supposed to bring w/o the greed...well gluttony is a kinda greed haha. oh yeah...christmas is also about Jesus b-day but thats been lost a lot too.
    i think the reason thanksgiving is slowly becoming less celebrated by stores is b/c of the whole pilgrams & indians thing. ppl are more acceptant that it wasn't the happy story we're taught as kids so they cant sell pilgram hats & feather headbands anymore.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My theory is because you don't really need a lot for Thanksgiving except food. I think that the stores and the marketing departments have done research and found that people don't really spend money on Thanksgiving. Halloween they make money because people are buying costumes and candy. Christmas people are buying gifts for each other and decorating like crazy.

It really is sad that we are always looking to the future so much that we have lost the ability to enjoy the present.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:13 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I've seen some Thanksgiving stuff...like maybe one or two turkey wreaths and fall leaf garlands haha!

But it's been like that for a few decades now, right? Ever since malls got big in the 80's, everyone stopped caring about Thanksgiving cuz there's no real commercial value in it...or something.

It's sad :(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2008