congestion question

My one year old has developed a nasty cough it sounds like he is coughing stuff up..there is no fever and he seems to be in good spirits with normal energy just wakes him he coughs so hard it breaks my heart what can I do to help him and when do we call the dr

MrsMeyers925

Asked by MrsMeyers925 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like it's a productive cough, which is good. When what he coughs up, chokes him (trouble breathing) that is certainly a reason to call or if it's been several days. You can prop him up on a pillow and put him to sleep, give him a steam in the bathroom but for his age, there really isn't a ton you can do from home. I used to end up sleeping with my heavy baby on my chest, both of us propped up. He may be inclined to sleep better with you during a bad cold like this. Call the ped in the morning if it's still nasty. But if he's eating and drinking and being "normal" those are good signs.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2011