Has anyones spouse or s/o suffered due to a cold hearted mom growing up?

Darla47

Asked by Darla47 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• My husbands mother was awful to him growing up!!! And he has issues with women, including myself, because of the way she treated him.... It as actually both his parents that were bad to him! So sadly he doesn't know what a real father should be like and I fear our son will suffer for it! I try to talk to him, but he hates talking about it!
    Anonymous

• No but I did, she still is that way,,she will tell every one she loves them but me oh well
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I wonder sometimes... My MIL passed away before I met my DH, so all I know about her is through him and his sisters. I think she loved them very much and worked really hard to support them as a single mom, but sometimes, reading between the lines, I think she may have not been a very good communicator and shamed DH a lot as a kid.
    Anonymous

• Yes. DH had never been read to until he got to Kindgergarten. She calls every few months and never talks to the kids who are old enough to really talk...6 and 7 yo.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My husband and brother-in-law both say this. They have a very hard time dealing with not feeling close to their family.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 11:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I did and it does leave a scar that tries to heal but can reopen under the right circumstances. DH has a good mother.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I suffered because of my father. He was very cold shouldered to me. For years, I did not know how to get close to anyone, even my own children. The only peace I can find in his untimely passing in November is that I have accepted our relationship would never improve and I have made peace with it. Otherwise, I am moving forward and opening up more. I don't want my kids to grow up like I did.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:10 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• This guy that I know his mother was so mean to him n his siblings but to this day he love the ground she walks on...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 7:50 AM on Jan. 31, 2011