Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question about welfare (just curious)

If you are a woman in crisis and need to leave your home for some reason or another and you have no job are you eligible for welfare?

Answer Question

Asked by Darla47 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 18 (5,806 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • You may be eligible for emergency food stamps or emergency housing. Check with you local welfare office if you are in this situation.

    Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • you work?If you do what is the pay depends on all that stuff.

    Answer by hill2 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • Thanks I was just wondering. I am not in that situation but I was curious!

    Comment by Darla47 (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • Depending on the state you live in there are instant programs for women/children in crisis. In my state if you are homeless or are in a shelter there is an emergency assistance program that will get you foodstamps, shelter and help you get your kids into school regardless of having records immediately. You then have a limited time to fill for full benefits and produce documentations. All you need to do is contact the Department of Human Services.

    Answer by babyboyzz at 11:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • Yea. Call your local social services and talk to them. You can qualify for emergancy foodstamps. However emergency housing may be difficult..they may reccomend you go to a local womans shelter till housing comes threw.

    Answer by SweetPoison at 11:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • Depending what the crisis is, I was a victim of domestic violence and my ex went to jail for it. I worked but took a leave cause I was beat up pretty bad. Not only did the state pay for my time off but they also gave my children and I counseling for free. I wouldnt have qualified for welfare but since you arent working you might. If it is a dv situation go to a dv crisis center and get enrolled. You need to create a paper trail and get on the right books with it

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • Depends on what state your in everyones diffrents i live in CO & they offer a numerous amount of programs for women

    Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 2:41 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.