A question about welfare (just curious)

If you are a woman in crisis and need to leave your home for some reason or another and you have no job are you eligible for welfare?

Darla47

Asked by Darla47 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• You may be eligible for emergency food stamps or emergency housing. Check with you local welfare office if you are in this situation.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• probably...do you work?If you do what is the pay depends on all that stuff.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Thanks I was just wondering. I am not in that situation but I was curious!
    Darla47

Comment by Darla47 (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Depending on the state you live in there are instant programs for women/children in crisis. In my state if you are homeless or are in a shelter there is an emergency assistance program that will get you foodstamps, shelter and help you get your kids into school regardless of having records immediately. You then have a limited time to fill for full benefits and produce documentations. All you need to do is contact the Department of Human Services.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 11:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Yea. Call your local social services and talk to them. You can qualify for emergancy foodstamps. However emergency housing may be difficult..they may reccomend you go to a local womans shelter till housing comes threw.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 11:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Depending what the crisis is, I was a victim of domestic violence and my ex went to jail for it. I worked but took a leave cause I was beat up pretty bad. Not only did the state pay for my time off but they also gave my children and I counseling for free. I wouldnt have qualified for welfare but since you arent working you might. If it is a dv situation go to a dv crisis center and get enrolled. You need to create a paper trail and get on the right books with it
    Anonymous

• Depends on what state your in everyones diffrents i live in CO & they offer a numerous amount of programs for women
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 2:41 AM on Jan. 31, 2011