When should I let my daughter start shaving her legs?

I have an 11 yr old daughter, and she has been asking about shaving her legs. My parents didn't let me start shaving my legs until I got into the 7th grade. I hate to have her start too soon, she has her whole life to shave her legs. Not to mention I'm not sure how careless she will be with the razor...What do you think? Is 11 too young to start shaving her legs?

hoping73

Asked by hoping73 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• i think I would let her try to shave & see how she does. The first time I started shaving was at the age of 11 & I cut myself badly so I quit. Just let her do it & see how she does! :)
    PrOuDmOmMy_2010

Answer by PrOuDmOmMy_2010 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I started much earlier than 11... If she wants to shave why would you discourage her? It's simple basic hygiene.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'm not sure of the age to start,, but I would definetly have her start with an electric razor first so there are no cuts.
    mommyamanda1410

Answer by mommyamanda1410 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• If she thinks its such a problem let her..see her legs and decide if she really needs it or its just a fad.

let her try if its clear she may need ti (girls at that age are very delicate about there apperance) and see how well she does..teach her how to use a razor..and how YOU avoid cutting urself.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 12:00 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Her legs are kinda hairy, but she is pretty tan so you can't see it very well..she also has very sensitive skin with a mild case of eczema..I know she has talked about her friends shaving and I think that is why she wants to.
    hoping73

Comment by hoping73 (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'd base it off of if she really needs to or not. My sister is 9 and has very hairy legs but her hair is blonde, so you can't tell. If her hair were black I'd think it mean not to let her shave because there really is a lot there. I asked to start shaving at 12 because my hair was very dark, and my mom absolutely refused. I was teased in gym class so I just went behind her back and started shaving. If its something that is really bothering her because she has a lot of hair, or its naturally dark in color, I'd say let her.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'm not "discouraging" her..I haven't told her no..she was asking about it and I told her we would look at razors and talk about it. I was just wondering if 11 was too young..
    hoping73

Comment by hoping73 (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I did it at 11 because no one had talked to me about it, but all the kids I went to school with were doing it. Needless to say it was a big mess cause I had no idea what I was doing. I would talk to your dd about it and let her know why you think she doesn't need to and that it is annoying and she has her whole life to do it. I would also explain to her that once she starts there is no looking back. And then if she still wants to do it I would let her. I don't think 11 is too young though.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:25 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My mom let me when I started getting hair on my arm pits. I think if she wants to she should
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My rule was when they get to the point of being embarassed then it is time to shave.

Have her try nair or some similar product first then slowly move up to shaving.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2011