I have a beautiful 1.5 year old that was just diasnosed with cerebral palsy what do i do now?

mirtre

Asked by mirtre at 2:46 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Health

• You love them just like any other child. If you're just now finding out about it then it must not be a severe case. My mom's friend has a son with cerebral palsy...I used to think she was so mean bc she would make him do everything the other kids had to do...made him try to tie his shoes, take out the garbage, etc. But, now he's 25 and works and lives on his own.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:48 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My nephew has CP. It's not a severe case but it's enough to where it affects his everyday life. He's the strongest, sweetest, most gentle and loving young man I know! He's had 8 operations just to be able to walk. He doesn't let anything hold him back. He's a Freshman in High School and marches in the High School Band. LIke the pp above said ...you love them and learn from them.
    My nephew has taught me so much : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 2:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I'm so sorry, talk to your pediatrician or specialist about a support group near you, or other moms of children witj CP near you.

And you always have cafe mom
    Wolfmother

Answer by Wolfmother at 3:13 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My little stepbrother (he's 10) was diagnosed with CP as a result of medical malpractice during birth. His isn't the most severe form, he only really has speech issues and motor skill issues. He's had surgery to place steel rods in his legs to help them straighten out...but don't let that scare you, the doctors have already removed the first set of rods and the recovery wasn't difficult at all. It sounds much worse than it is, your baby might not even need them.

(continued)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:21 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I know things may seem impossible right now, but I can promise you that you've been blessed with a very special child. Your bond with your baby is going to become closer than anything you've ever dreamed of. My little brother is the cutest, sweetest, most charming little kid I've ever known, he has blonde hair and big blue eyes and all the girls love him at school. He couldn't be more normal. This isn't the end of the world for you, just make sure your baby gets the proper care and love and attention and you'll both be just fine :D
    caitxrawks

• After getting him all the medical care and support available, just love him and treat him the very same as a child without. Have high expectations and a can do attitude. Who knows, maybe he'll grow up to be a doctor!

Hugs,
    Snowcorgi
    Snowcorgi

Answer by Snowcorgi at 8:06 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• You love the child and never take any time spent with any of your children for granted! Hugs to you Momma!
    bagjmama

Answer by bagjmama at 9:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Hi there - my daughter was diagnosed at age one. She IS a severe case but no doctors would listen to me when she was younger, due to her extreme prematurity. Is your child's case a mild case? My daughter is 24 now, and she was NEVER allowed to be treated differently by anyone, and as a result, althugh she is severely disabled (can't walk or sit on her own) she has traveled the world, works a job, has many friends, and is a productive member of society. One of the things I regret, looking back, is that I didn't adapt more toys for her, so try your hardest to do that, if you can. My daughter played, but I think I could have gotten her better/more adaptive toys, looking back. And most of all, love her to death! If you need any advice, feel free to email me!
    reneee3

Answer by reneee3 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Live everyday to its fullest and love your child to death. That is all you can do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My neice has CP all I can say is educate yourself and be her advocate get her all the help she needs there are groups here for support search Cp groups good luck
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 10:07 AM on Nov. 15, 2008