How did you tell your SO it was over?

I have spoken to a lawyer and am pretty sure I will be divorcing my husband. Our relationship has been so horrible for too long and I've exhausted all the options I can come up with. I used to think we had the potential to improve, but I no longer think he is capable of it. Anyhow, I'm not sure if he'll be relieved that I'm the one initiating or if he will be completely pissed off b/c he wasn't expecting it.

How did you have THAT conversation.

I'm scared.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• oooo your reading my mind...I am in the process of putting money away so I can leave....we broke up twice last yr...its not working. i am physically and emotionally drained. I cant do it anymore.....
    Anonymous

• yeah , i know what you say , i think it gets to the point where you dont even really think to much about these issues at some point , , i allways have to remind myself that ''he dont feel or care the way i do , and i go way to far worrying about what he thinks or how will react , you dont really know , but there sure can be fear there.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• You tell him lovingly. Do not be mean, it will haunt him forever. Just tell him you can't do it anymore. Tell him how you feel. Pray for him and yourself. Good luck, I am sorry you are going through this.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I've never been threw a divorce..

but I broke up with my boyfriend of a year and the father of my youngest son by telling him i was in love with someone else and I was unhappy with him and just wanted to see if I could be happy again. It was the hardest and most emotionally painful thing I ever did. But it was the only way to make him understand that it was really over..and I did start dating someone new
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 12:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It would be easier if I did love someone else. Sadly, I'd rather be alone than with him most of the time ...

Thanks, JackieGirl, that is a very kind, mature answer. It needs to go well so my son is affected as little as possible.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:43 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• You just do it. Starting over is never easy and it can be frightening. But contrary to what you have heard misery does not always love company.
    debnich501960

Answer by debnich501960 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 31, 2011