Coughing/ sore throat help!

I have been coughing up mucus all day. Now I can barely speak, swallow, or breath. A large part of that is that my throat is beyond raw yet I still feel like there is stuff blocking my breathing. I tried to gargle salt water, drink chamomile tea, and the maximum amount of cough syrup that I could take. I really feel terrible but can't get into the dr.'s for a week.

TaraK.

Asked by TaraK. at 12:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Health

• Try Gypsy Cold Tea by Traditional Medicinals with some honey. For me it works like a charm. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water, and you're eating healthy foods that will help you recover faster. Smoothies might feel good on your throat. Avoid milk and ice cream, and perhaps cheese, as they tend to increase mucus. Yogurt is generally okay, and might be a good idea, between the probiotics and the cold. Try to get plain and flavor it yourself to reduce the sugar. I hope you feel better soon!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:12 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Have you tried Mucinex? (or generic guaifenasin- is the active ingrediant). It's an expectorant to make the mucus loosen up and easier to pass. You can get combos too, of the guaifenasin and decongestant. *hugs* check the ingrediants with other cold meds your taking tho- don't want to on something if you take mucinex too. We used to pass it out to alllllll the sick people in the hospital when I worked in medicine. The salt water is good, also tea, or other warm drinks. Also ibuprofen- it's a pretty good antinflammitory, plus will help with fever. U may just need antibiotics tho. :( Hope u get feeling better soon!
    kelrn

Answer by kelrn at 1:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup/throat soother.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:50 AM on Jan. 31, 2011