When to switch to a toddler bed?

My son is two, he doesn't climb out of his crib or anything, but his crib is starting to break from him bouncing in it. I want to get him a toddler bed, but he already fights going to bed, so I am nervous how it will turn out. How old were your kids when you switched them, and what advice do you have to keep them in there bed? Oh and also our bedrooms are upstairs, so that also worries me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We switched about 18 months. DS rarely gets out, even when he has a bad dream, or has to pee. He just cries for me.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:08 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Instead of a toddler bed, I switched them to a mattress on the floor. It worked fine until they were big enough for a regular bed.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My daughter is 2 and she is still in her crib..she doesn't climb out either..yet...I am dredding putting her in a toddler bed because I know she won't stay in bed. I have 5 kids all together, and it was never a fun thing. I would say if his crib is breaking then for safety you should get him a toddler bed. Just try to stick to the same bedtime routine...and if he gets up keep putting him back...and be consistent..that is key. Good luck...and good luck to me..cause I know my day is coming soon for this transition.
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Thank you. And I wish you luck as well.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Jan. 31, 2011