Catholic? Godparents

I'm Catholic and my family isn't. They are some sort of flavor of Christianity, but not Catholic. My husband's side of the family isn't religious, but he practices Buddhism and pays homage to some of the Hindu deities. My daughter has her baptism in May and I want to elect godparents for her. I want to make sure that she will be taken care of if something happens to us. According to the Catholic faith, her godparents have to be Catholic. So is it possible to have official godparents (i.e. stated in a will or something) that aren't of a religious persuasion if you're Catholic? I do want her to grow up in the faith and have a spiritual path, but how can I guarantee that if her godparents aren't Catholic?

tdbaas

Asked by tdbaas at 12:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Godparents and Guardians are two different things. So for you choose Catholic godparents, they are to make sure you do your best to raise them Catholic, meaning if you start slacking in your duties raising your child in the church they are to talk to you and hold you accountable.
    Now a Guardian is different, that is who will take care of your child if you and your husband die. That is a legal matter and needs to be put into a will.

It can be the same people, but doesn't need to be.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would go and talk to my priest if you do not have anyone around that believes in the same religion.

I'm glad my kids are adults, because their God parents failed them!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:39 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I agree with SleepingBeautee. Our kids' guardian is not their godparents.
    Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 1:20 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Who you choose for your will is completely separate from the Godparents you select for baptism. Only one person needs to be Catholic when you select Godparents. Is there at least one family member on your side you feel comfortable making a Godparent? My youngest daughter only has one Godparent, my sister.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:45 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• im with first reply too
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• So is it possible to have official godparents (i.e. stated in a will or something) that aren't of a religious persuasion if you're Catholic?

Of course.  One's a Legal issue, and one's a religious issue. 

I do want her to grow up in the faith and have a spiritual path, but how can I guarantee that if her godparents aren't Catholic? 

You can't.  You absolutely CAN NOT.  No matter how you raise her, she will find her OWN path, and follow it.  My Catholic parents did their best to raise 4 Catholics, and ended up with 2 Catholics, an Atheist, and a Pagan(me). 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Godparents HAVE to be Catholic. Legally, you can appoint guardians for your child that aren't Catholic. I guess you could stipulate that the guardians should make sure that your child is raised in the Catholic faith, though.
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 12:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• According to the Church, the Godparents must be Catholic. However, Godparents and guardians are very different things. My older two children have Godparents who are different from who we want to care for our kids should something happen. Right now, my younger ones have the same Godparents as they do guardians... their grandparents.

Your child will choose their own path. My oldest swore up and down that she wanted to be a Catholic nun when she was younger. Now she is exploring various Pagan paths. At age 16, it is her own choice and I cannot make that for her. She likes a lot of things about the Catholic Church, but she needs to come to her own conclusions about it. Your child will have to make those same decisions one day. No matter who her Godparents are, she will get to a point in life where she has to make her own choices, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Only one Has has to be Catholic the other would be Christian witness. Both have to be Baptised
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011