How do I get my 5 year old to be at a reasonable hour?

My son fights his sleep. We normally get home from daycare and work around 6:30 to 6:50 every night. I try to make sure that he has eaten by no later than 7:30. HELP!!!!!

alainabeck

Asked by alainabeck at 3:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• just have him lay in bed in the dark until he falls asleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• The problem with that is , he is afraid of the dark.
    alainabeck

Answer by alainabeck at 3:48 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I would try reading a book to him before he goes to sleep and then give him a flash light. Also if he is afraid of the dark you could try putting a dream catcher above his bed. This worked great for my children and they still have theirs.

I think the key is to keep a routine as much as possible and to be consistent.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• It is hard when you have so little time at home during the week. You eat dinner at 7:30...so what time do you think he should go to bed? Pick a reasonable time that allows you to have some time to relax together, maybe reading a book or something and then just be consistent. A small night light is fine...it doesn't have to be complete darkness. Maybe by giving him that extra half hour of attention doing some quiet activity together followed by a calming bedtime ritual that is consistent he will learn to go to sleep easier. If you have already really tried all that, then maybe you should talk to his doctor.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• is he napping at daycare? is he eating too much sugar? what time do you usually put him to bed and what time does he have to get up in the morning?
    momof2andloveit

Answer by momof2andloveit at 9:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• First of all I'd like to say one thing: Crockpots!! - Use a crockpot, and this way dinner will be ready when you guys get home.

Have him eat, and then maybe a short bath (15 mins for him) to help him wind down and relax a teeny bit before bed. Then teethbrushing, a short story, and bedtime. Have a nightlight to make him feel secure and not so scared of the dark and hopefully have him in bed 8:15-8:30.

If need be let him just lay there and cry, or keep putting him back in bed if he keeps getting up. Make sure he stays there and knows that's the way it's going to be. Be sure to spend extra special time with him on weekends so he gets the time with you he needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Our schedule never allowed for our kids to have an early bedtime.
    9:00 is the standard. Sometimes my 6 year old will go to bed at 8:30. They get up at 6:45, so that's over 9 1/2 hours.
    Possibly you are trying to put him down before his clock is ready?
    We also have used reward systems in the past. A sticker chart is available on ChuckECheese.com. After two weeks, they can get 10 free tokens.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 10:03 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Is he taking naps at daycare. When my son was in pre-school they made him take naps. I found out he was napping for almost two hours! Couldn't figure out why he couldn't fall asleep at night. My son is almost 6 now and in kindergarten. He rests during the day for 10-15 minutes. Doesn't need or want a nap. We have dinner about 6:30p. He showers at night and is in bed by 8pm. We read til 8:30p. Lights out. He's out!
    npacheco9

Answer by npacheco9 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2008