how do I cook greens?

Ok our neighbor brought over a bunch of greens for us but I have NO idea what to do with them. I used to just feed them to the turtles but with the price of produce going up and up I really want to use them for the family! I have beet greens and turnip greens. any tips on how to cook the little shugar beets would be great too!

2littlemonkeys

Asked by 2littlemonkeys at 7:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Food & Drink

• for the sugar beets....
    Cooks.com - Recipes - Sugar Beets
    Results 1 - 10 of about 810 for sugar beets. Result Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ... COM : COOKING, RECIPES AND MORE 0.49phc ...
    www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,sugar_beets,FF.html -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I cook the greens with some pork and pork fat in a steamer or pressure cooker with a bit of water in the bottom. If you cook them too long they will turn into a soupy mush.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• just put them in a crock pot with potatoes or steam them.
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 1:41 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Wash the greens well I usually let them soak so that the sand is on the bottom repeat if you need to . Once clean remove stems , up to smallest part in leaf In pot fry some bacon till almost done start adding greens stir they will begin to wilt add more till all gone. Fill with water about 2" over greens put heat on slow boil cover after an hour or so add a cap full of vinegar(white) that will take out the bitter taste cook untill they are tender enough for you I cook mine a long time
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 2:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Don't cook them! If you do you cook all nutritional value away!
    Wash them! Put them in a blender! Add fruit and Walla!
    Geneie

Answer by Geneie at 11:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2008